cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not being received

fifetom

Email not being received

My client has 46 email addresses set up using the default destination for their account. At the weekend sending to them stopped working with 550 Invalid Recipient error messages. No settings were changed at the PlusNet account I am told. However the client is using a destination domain which is external to PlusNet. It is a domain hosted by 1and1.co.uk. The MX record for that domain is set to
mx.avasin.plus.net
Tech support at PlusNet suggest the problem lies at 1and1 who assure me it doesn't.
The destination addresses still work to send and receive and oddly, they arrive with the 1and1 domain as the destination domain. Can you please suggest a fix before I create 46 new email accounts?
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Email not being received

. It is a domain hosted by 1and1.co.uk. The MX record for that domain is set to
mx.avasin.plus.net

Has this always been the setup for this domain? I ask as I'm not sure how our domain system would associate that MX record to a specific account and therefore point the mail to the right place, which would explain the 550 error.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fifetom

Yes. There are no email accounts set up at 1and1. They are all at PlusNet and all worked until Monday. I see your point though.
Is it possible that by simply invoking that 1and1 domain by using it in the address my client was able to connect their account with it through some open channel in the PlusNet system which you have recently closed?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Unless the domain is hosted by Plusnet I wouldn't have expected this to work (ever) for the reason stated by Chris. To make it work mail would have to be forwarded by an external Mail Transfer Agent to the default (username-based) destination domain for the account.
David
David
fifetom

But it worked for years.
Moot point now of course.