Did you mean: 

Email non-delivery to my F9 email address

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Email non-delivery to my F9 email address

Hi @MisterW

I've checked the header you sent and all of that info does appear to be in there - I'll let @Gandalf clarify if there's anything else we need for the task that's been raised.

Best wishes

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Cheers Dave.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Yup thanks for the clarification @MisterW

I've gone back to NetOps and I'll post back shortly

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@italytic Sorry for the delayed update. The latest reply I've received is that we need the bounce backs that Virgin Money have with the dates and times of the rejection, so just the headers don't seem to be enough for us to investigate further I'm afraid. Sad Is this something you'd be able to try to get?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
italytic
Hooked

Hi Gandalf, thanks for the feedback. I have been in touch with Virgin Money and they have just replied with some important information:

They tried to send me a 'savings' e-mail on 7 Dec 2018 which got rejected. Because of this, they then flagged my email address as 'inactive' and so did not actually try to send to this address again! However their implication to me, from the way their 5 subsequent letters had been written, is that they had kept trying to resend! Further, their advice to me to add their email address to a safe senders list was also useless: because they failed to add that I would need to call them and ask for the 'inactive' flag to be taken off!

I have now agreed with them to remove this flag and to send a test e-mail to the email I currently have registered with them (not plusnet). If this works I might then switch my email address back to Plusnet and ask them to retest again. My guess is that these tests will both work.

I strongly suspect that the initial rejection back in Dec 2018 happened because that e-mail got caught up in the general e-mail rejection issues Plusnet were experiencing at that time. If the practice of flagging email accounts as inactive is common practice after any rejection then there could still be a huge legacy of such 'email rejection' problems amongst Plusnet customers. So whilst Plusnet caused the problem initially, they are not now (necessarily) continuing to be at fault. I would urge anyone affected like I have been, to contact the sender and ask if their e-mail address has been flagged 'inactive'. If VM are anything to go by, their postal communications to you may be giving misleading and inappropriate advice.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @italytic thanks for the update that's enlightening, let me know how it goes I'd be interested to know if you do end up being able to receive mail from Virgin Money to your Plusnet email address. Happy to continue to support if not though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet