cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email marked as spam (which is not spam).

FIXED
YourAverageJoe
Dabbler

Email marked as spam (which is not spam).

HI,

I need help sorting out the spam filter on my account.

I'm having a problem with emails, which, until recently, would go directly to my inbox, now being sent to the spam folder. These are emails, from legitimate sources, that should not be filtered. NB - These emails are from a number of different senders.  

These email don't show in the spam folder on my phone (using samsung email), which I use when away from the computer, but they do show up in outlook spam folder (on the computer). I can mark them as not junk, when using outlook, which then moves them to the inbox. However, no matter how I mark these email as not junk/spam, in outlook, it doesn't prevent future emails being filtered as spam.

I've done a search and found the following, which says there should be a button (When using the webmail site) for marking emails as not spam.

Plusnet Spam.PNG

I've looked, and I've looked and cannot see this button. Can someone advise me where it should be, or another way of overcoming this problem?

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I'm an old freenetname customer.

Many Thanks

YAJ

9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Email marked as spam (which is not spam).

Those instructions refer to the use of webmail.

Marking something as not spam will take time to have any effect, in the same way as marking anything as spam stakes time to have effect.

The big problem here is users!!!  People who have subscribed to services, which they now decided they do not want to hear from, mark emails as spam instead of cancelling their subscription.  If enough people do that, that legitimate sender gets marked as a source of spam and their emails get flagged as spam.

Similarly users who see such emails marked as spam not being spam and report them as such will take time for the black mark to be erased.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

YourAverageJoe
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

I can't even find this button when using webmail, which is part of the problem.

Given this has been going on for a couple of weeks now, I don't think time's the problem. 

And I understand what you say about subscriptions and mailing lists, but these emails are sent to a small number of people, with some being addressed to me alone.

I've tried to resolve this issue by adding the senders to my address book, on the webmail site, but they still get filtered as spam.  

Given how time is of an essence, with many of these emails, it's extremely frustrating that I'm not getting notified of their presence until I receive a calling chasing a reply.

YAJ

not those sent to a mailing list, which people subscribe to, they are  

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

1. In webmail
  2. In the spam (junk) folder
  3. Select the mail item(s)
  4. Select other actions (or right click on the item(s) )
  5. Select Not Spam

Capture not spam.JPG

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

YourAverageJoe
Dabbler

Thanks for the prompt reply.

This not spam option is not available when click the indicated button (mark messages). I get the following:

Webmail Options.PNG

And when I click on the more actions button, I've got the following (again no not spam option)

Settings Options.PNG

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

1. The mail item(s) needs to be in the Junk (spam) folder
  2. The mail item(s) need to be selected
  3. It is the More Actions button (sorry my mistake) or right click the selected item(s)

YourAverageJoe
Dabbler

I'm quite sure I've clicked on every button possible, looking for this not spam button, and still not found it.

When I select a message in my spam folder and then right click on it, here are my options (along with those under more actions).

Right click options.PNG

And those here's what's available, under mark messages.

Right click MM options.PNG

As with a previous problem I had, I suspect, being an old time freenetname/madasafish customer may have something to do with it. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

How Odd!!

This is what I see on right click on an item in the Junk (Spam) folder...

Capture not spam2.JPG

I would also check the special folder mappings.

Capture special folders.JPG

YourAverageJoe
Dabbler

Changing that special folder setting, may have solved it... I can now see that not spam button. 

Not Spam.PNG

I'll probably have to wait till Monday, when people get back to work, to see if it does solve my spam filtering issues, but 

at least I can see it now, so a massive thanks.

YAJ

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Remember it will take time (and probably several reports) for the spam engines to revise revise its profiles.