Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email log in issue

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Email log in issue

Quote from: MichaelJ
Had to make a long distance telephone call to USA and get a friend to take documents into town and send by fax

I don't understand why you had to do that. It has been absolutely clear from the beginning that the problem was accessing incoming mail, there should not have been any problem sending email (particularly to non-Plusnet addresses).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hadden
Grafter

@BobP and Chris
Thanks for sharing the explanation. It is more in keeping with the quality of response we hope for.
Hopefully a post mortem will consider where "contingency plan" fitted in to activities.  Wink
peaksoft
Grafter

I do appreciate that there's a lot of frustration.
I'm also very frustrated, as I've been without email service all day, but I don't think that badgering will bring about a faster resolution.  The only likely outcome will be to antagonise and alienate the staff at Plusnet.
All I ask is that while my service is out of action, honest, straightforward reports of progress on fixing the problem are posted at frequent intervals - I don't think that every hour would be too much to ask.
Things do go wrong, and it's how the problems are dealt with that provides the measure of the people who are fixing it, and those who supervise them.
No doubt there will be a far-searching debriefing when this has been fixed, so that practical lessons are learned.
I believe I've been with Plusnet for more than two years now, and this is my first serious problem, so I have no real cause for general complaint.
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Chris
I don't think we've said that anywhere have we?

Quote from: Chris
I've just posted the following to service status:
some customers are now able to access their email again

Would you like to offer any evidence of which customers it is who can now access their email again and precisely why it is that I am not one of them?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Capvermell
But the question is why when your customers email went off you didn't immediately abandon your xmas tree buying plans until the problem was resolved.  Obviously you must have thought "just another boring outage.  Much more important that I buy my xmas tree,"

Nope, I only found out when I returned home and thought I'd check in on the forums.
Whereas in a well ordered setup key staff would have been immediately pulled in this morning to fix the problem straight away and then given time off in lieu during the week.

As I've already explained, our on-call engineers were called out very soon after the emergence of complaints. Admittedly we thought the problem was fixed before it was and for that I apologise.
@peaksoft, yes there will undoubtedly be a debriefing on Monday.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MichaelJ
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: MichaelJ
Had to make a long distance telephone call to USA and get a friend to take documents into town and send by fax

I don't understand why you had to do that. It has been absolutely clear from the beginning that the problem was accessing incoming mail, there should not have been any problem sending email (particularly to non-Plusnet addresses).

I cannot receive or send emails. that's why
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. A Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Temporary problem, please try again later', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
As I run two computers both on difference operating systems it it not me but Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Martha
Bit longer than we'd want it to be going on for I admit, one of the people who was on night shifts tonight did pick up on it and call it out to our developers...

I believe the night shift ends at 7:15 so the appropriate people had been contacted before then. Not quite the inaction that some people seem to be suggesting!
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: peaksoft
Things do go wrong, and it's how the problems are dealt with that provides the measure of the people who are fixing it, and those who supervise them.

But we now know that one of those responsible for supervising the other staff was down at B&Q buying their xmas tree as this was clearly regarded as far more important than restoring customers' email service.
I note that the new Plusnet head honcho, Jamie Ford, has remained skulking in the shadows on this issue despite getting a read receipt for my email to him (via another email provider who I don't normally use as my Reply To address).  However in my view its high time that he stepped up to the plate and took responsibility for the resolution of this now highly brand damaging problem.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: terminal
just out of interest, in squirrelmail old emails are showing a date of fri 10:11pm, in roundcube the are all showing the correct dates.

Seems like an issue specific to SquirrelMail. We've raised another problem to have this looked into (ref: 64982). I doubt work will start on it until the main issue's resolved though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
Nope, I only found out when I returned home and thought I'd check in on the forums.

Really.
I know I may be overly optimistic but I would have thought that both pagers and mobile phones (not to mention Blackberries and Iphones) have been in widespread use in Yorkshire for several years now?
If you only found out when you got home that sounds like it is because you don't want to be in touch with the office when you are out shopping?
mikesin
Grafter

Unable to acess email with correct user name and password using windows mail
jelv
Seasoned Hero

But we now know that one of those responsible for supervising the other staff was down at B&Q buying their xmas tree as this was clearly regarded as far more important than restoring customers' email service.

Completely wrong, Bob is a member of Digital Care team whose primary function is to communicate with the users through forums such as this and who usually issue the service status announcements.
Networks is the team who will actually be working on the issues; Bob has no authority over them whatsoever.
I note that the new Plusnet head honcho, Jamie Ford, has remained skulking in the shadows on this issue despite getting a read receipt for my email to him (via another email provider who I don't normally use as my Reply To address).  However in my view its high time that he stepped up to the plate and took responsibility for the resolution of this now highly brand damaging problem.

That is the most ridiculous suggestion. The last thing the Networks team need is the boss looking over their shoulders asking questions and interrupting them getting on with sorting out the problems. Monday when the inquests start would be the appropriate time.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Not sure where you've got the impression that Bob supervises other staff from? He's already replied to your earlier post as he only found out about the outage when he checked the forums.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you only found out when you got home that sounds like it is because you don't want to be in touch with the office when you are out shopping?

Not the case. I have a mobile and people aren't afraid to ring it. We have on-call engineers though for exactly this purpose, there was no need to interrupt my shopping.
Quote from: jelv
Networks is the team who will actually be working on the issues; Bob has no authority over them whatsoever.

Debatable Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

OK, let me try and clear this up.
Nightshift called out about an email issue in the early hours, we had people workign on it from around 7am (may have been earlier, that's the timestamp on the problem I'm looking at).
Martha posted service status posts to try and keep customers informed with the latest and posted the information available to her.
At no point was Bob called, nor should he have been called. I'm the designated Digital Care person on call today, I *did* get called out, unfortunately this was only a few minutes before my first post in the thread here and that is something I'll be raising on Monday.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.