Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email log in issue

Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Email log in issue

Quote from: jelv
why Barry hasn't banned you I don't know.

Its clearly high time someone banned him as no moderator should be allowed to get away with accusing other forum members of being mad.
Why am I mad to be upset about having been unable to collect my Plusnet email for 9 hours.
MichaelJ
Grafter

Quote from: MichaelJ
Quote from: Barry
Just FYI, I'm a customer, and not employed by Plusnet.
B.

Oh  well, that makes censorship okay then!

No it means that you've added nothing new to the conversation and are just hindering the Plusnet bods from getting on with what they should be doing which is fixing the problem and accurately establishing just who is affected and publishing fully accurate information.

thank you for that sugar coated, rear licking answer. I'll spread it on my toast
zubel
Community Veteran

Capvermell,
I have regularly questioned the reasoning behind you keeping Plusnet as your ISP, as you obviously have no faith in their technical abilities?  Perhaps you should look into an ISP that can satisfy your demands?
Meanwhile, let the technical staff do their job, unless you actually have some input worth reading?
And FYI, my "mad" comment was towards you being angry.  I would have said: "Are you some sort of ridiculously idiotic fruit loop" if I had intended to call you insane.

B.
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Dorian
Looks like e-mail is up and running again.

Its not up and running here.  The same old error messages still persist.
rosey1955

I got up this morning expecting to be able to access some important emails, only to be told by my son that he had not been able to receive his emails. When I tried to log in the Enter Network Log in box continually appeared. On Each of the occasions the error code was OX800CCC92.I telephone Plusnet to hear the recorded message regarding the email fault. I was of the opinion that it would be fixed by 6 PM , but sadly that doesn't look to be the case. I recently changed to Plusnet from Pipex, please don't tell me that I have made a mistake........ Undecided
rosey1955

Still down here too @ 17.54 hours Cry
Spider
Grafter

For those of you intent on raging on, spreading hearsay and mistruths I'll happily ban you until the problem is fixed.
B.

Just checked the forum rules and I could find nothing covering the above unless it gets personal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I am one of those unlucky ones that currently doesn't have email and up to now I was one of the 95% who haven't bothered posting about it. So far the email outage as been an inconvenience, but nothing more. My broadband service for which I pay for, is fine and their for I have no gripes that Plusnet are not providing the service I pay for. With regard to the email as long as they are working on a solution and not compromising my details then I'm fine with that. Oh, and before anyone says, I was also was one of those affected by the previous major issue. I'm still here because despite occasional glitches as I get a good service off Plusnet.
At work I am on call 24/7/365.... not officially by any means but contactable if a problem arises than I need to be aware off. It would be quite easy for me to physically work 24/7/365 dealing with all the issues.... but I don't and neither do I expect all Plusnet staff to be in the same situation. They are allowed time off as long as as company they have staff cover 24/7/365.
MichaelJ
Grafter

Quote from: Capvermell
Quote from: Dorian
Looks like e-mail is up and running again.

Its not up and running here.  The same old error messages still persist.

nor mine
Capvermell
Rising Star

I have regularly questioned the reasoning behind you keeping Plusnet as your ISP, as you obviously have no faith in their technical abilities?  Perhaps you should look into an ISP that can satisfy your demands?

There's no need to worry there as I haven't used them as my broadband provider for quite some time.  I do however still use their email service for legacy related reasons.
And FYI, my "mad" comment was towards you being angry.  I would have said: "Are you some sort of ridiculously idiotic fruit loop" if I had intended to call you insane.

And why precisely should I not be entitled to be cross/angry about my email accounts with Plusnet having been down all day?  I sent off a very important email at 9am today and I still don't know if anyone has read it or responded to it.  Perhaps I never will know.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Plusnet on a lot of their systems have a directory structure where they break it down in to a tree structure based on the first two characters so you will have:
basedir -+ \el+-\elephant
        |    +-\elvis
        |
        + \fr+-\fred
              +-\freddie

This reduces the number of entries in each directory and speeds up access.
It wasn't an "I'm all right" comment, it was an observation that we may see different users regain access at different times depending upon their user name (it's also possible that we progressively lost access in a similar manner).
Edit: Bob pointed out that it's the first three letters (not two as my example) while I was typing - the principle is the same however.

I'm amazed that Plusnet don't just use a decent file system, instead of trying to invent their own.
Not at all surprised that their mail storage system ran out of space.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Spider
For those of you intent on raging on, spreading hearsay and mistruths I'll happily ban you until the problem is fixed.
B.

Just checked the forum rules and I could find nothing covering the above unless it gets personal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote from: MichaelJ
thank you for that sugar coated, rear licking answer. I'll spread it on my toast

I would think that would meet the criteria!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: A
I'm amazed that Plusnet don't just use a decent file system, instead of trying to invent their own.
Not at all surprised that their mail storage system ran out of space.

It's a very standard way of splitting out what could potentially be hundreds of thousands of folders.
It also allows you to link in new storage mountpoints for particular subdirectories, if they get overloaded.
B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's a very standard way of splitting out what could potentially be hundreds of thousands of folders.

PN have over 400,000 users so I suggest you should have said "It's a very standard way of splitting out what would otherwise be hundreds of thousands of folders.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: Capvermell

There's no need to worry there as I haven't used them as my broadband provider for quite some time.  I do however still use their email service for legacy related reasons.

And why precisely should I not be entitled to be cross/angry about my email accounts with Plusnet having been down all day?  I sent off a very important email at 9am today and I still don't know if anyone has read it or responded to it.  Perhaps I never will know.

Am I right in saying that you currently have no contract with Plusnet, only a 'dialup' account to give access to the email service that was supplied as part of your old broadband account?
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Spider
Am I right in saying that you currently have no contract with Plusnet, only a 'dialup' account to give access to the email service that was supplied as part of your old broadband account?

Wrong.
It was actually supplied as part of my pay monthly 0808 dial up account with Plusnet. Wink