Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email log in issue

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Email log in issue

I don't know whether this still happens, and whether the problem might apply to other e-mail clients, but on an old release of Outlook, if the password was lost, so prompted for, the re-entered password was *not* stored. This meant it was requested again and again at the next stages of the process. The only way to get it to store the password was to go through the e-mail account change process (in Outlook) and re-enter the password there.
David
m063
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
but make sure they are checking the correct mailbox.

Thanks Chris, their email client was setup wrongly, so may not have been related to this issue anyway (or may have been their attempt to resolve it).
Working now anyway.
MacOS10
Grafter

Well, now the dust seems to have settled and people have calmed down, can anyone point me in the right direction of any PlusNet statements as to how this occurred in the first place? I believe PlusNet staff were having a debrief on Monday or Tuesday to try to discover what went wrong, what lessons can be learnt from the procedures that were in place and hopefully stop this happening again on the same level.
All I can find is this Service Status report from yesterday...
Email access (64979) - RESOLVED
21/12/2010 @ 17:26
This is an update to yesterday's posts regarding problems and errors when collecting or viewing your email.
All customers should now have access to their emails via whichever method they usually use to collect mail. As per our previous updates some customers using POP3 collection may see duplicated emails, unfortunately we cannot help with this issue.
As the issues have been cleared we're taking the decision to set the service status back to 'green'
Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused

Maybe I've missed the announcement? If not, in the spirit of our "good, honest broadband" supplier, it would be nice to know what actually went wrong.
MacOS10
Grafter

So, that's a "No" then?  Undecided
I suppose PlusNet are just going to sweep this under the carpet and hope we all forget about it?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
We've certainly not forgotten and aren't in any way trying to sweep the issue under the carpet. There'll be a detailed post made over the Christmas period which should explain things for you.
MacOS10
Grafter

Thanks, Matt. I'll check back over the Christmas period.
jingarfield
Dabbler

Have I missed an announcement on the causes of the issues, along with details and timings of the rectification process?
Thought not.
Rather confirms my decision to leave Plusnet over the Christmas period.
In fairness to Plusnet, the MAC key provision and line handover (to Sky) went very smoothly.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

is this the one you are looking for http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12092795  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes Wink
Software bug and server overloads blamed

Details of what caused the service to be unusable for millions of users prior to Christmas have been posted on the firm's blog.
The two events combined to create a cascade of problems that managed to knock out much of the network
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What has Skype got to do with Plusnet's email problems
MacOS10
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi all,
We've certainly not forgotten and aren't in any way trying to sweep the issue under the carpet. There'll be a detailed post made over the Christmas period which should explain things for you.

Well, I've looked and looked, but I can find no detailed post over the Christmas period explaining what exactly happened. Could you please point me in the right direction for that announcement please?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Matt didn't say which Christmas.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I / we haven't forgotten about this. We will post an update this week.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jingarfield
Dabbler

As it is now a quarter to seven on Friday evening - and there is nothing here or the announcements section -  I think it is safe to assume that "this week" will be "next week"  Wink
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Sorry for the delay guys. The post-mortem has been drafted but is awaiting a sanity check/some expanding from the engineers who worked more closely on the problem. As soon as that's sorted, we'll post it up...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

long-gone
Grafter

But surely, if you can delay it by yet another week then perhaps everybody will have forgotten what a monumental cock-up it was..........