cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email limits to avoid spam

cjh
Dabbler

Email limits to avoid spam

I want to set up a newsletter mailing to anyone that has registered with me (so, GDPR is taken care of), without using any external service such as Mailchimp. But I'm concerned that Plusnet might identify me as a spammer ...

Is there a limit beneath which I am 'safe', such as sending 10 per minute or whatever? The software will allow such a setting, rather than trying everything at once. What do I need to take care with when sending a 'bulk' mailing?

Thanks for any advice.

9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Email limits to avoid spam

@cjh 

Mailchimp and alternatives put a lot of effort into  handling newsletters because the task is far more difficult than you make it sound. 😍

Plusnet do impose limits to control what users send (targeted at "real" spammers). But I think the best answer is to use a proper service.

David
cjh
Dabbler

Thanks for the feedback. I've tried using Mailchimp + another similar service, but simply don't like the way it integrates with the software I'm using (Prestashop) ... I end up with two subscription databases, one on my site and one on theirs. I've just had enough of fighting that system, basically.

A module is available for me to use that would suit my needs, and it can control the number of email newsletters (made using an inbuilt template) sent per time period. But, I don't know what the Plusnet limit is before I buy into the module. I'm therefore seeking some guidance on what Plusnet sets as a limit, or at least what sort of sendings are 'safe' rather than pushing anything to the extreme.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Chris

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Mailing list facilities need a cgi service to handle the task properly, which would be sending via its own SMTP relays (not relay.plus.net). legacy Plusnet accounts might still have ccgi space; does this apply in your case?

David
cjh
Dabbler

I don't think I have cgi but don't know. I have an 'unlimited' contract; couldn't spot any reference to any cgi space.

The blurb on two of the modules I checked (several are available) states that these support use of both SMTP and PHP mail. Beyond that, they show use by (one example) over 17,000 users, so it ought to work ... depending on the limits set by Plusnet per minute or hour or whatever. That's the part I am trying to find out.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

If you had CGI webspace I'm sure you would know. Without it you don't have the means to run PHP.😐

David
cjh
Dabbler

Okay, but my broadband is with Plusnet, not my webspace. I misunderstood ... my webspace is elsewhere and runs current php and can run the modules required, but I presumed through Plusnet. Perhaps that's wrong - my query should instead be directed at the webspace isp.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

There might be some broader things to be clarified here...

Where does your application run? If on some other supplier’s web platform, that service, that account should have a SMTP service. The fact that you access via PlusNET does not infer a need or necessity for that service to send via PlusNET’s mail services.

In whose name is the email to be sent? Your Plusnet name or some other email address?

Where are responses to be sent to?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cjh
Dabbler

Things are indeed becoming clearer. I has assumed (wrongly) that the Plusnet service would be involved, but I now see that no, it would all go out via the web platform, that isn't with Plusnet. More specifically, yes, the email responses (if any) would come via an email address using a Plusnet service (using my domain name) - exactly as now. I don't expect to have that many responses; this is sending information out, not anticipating reactions.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

One consideration here ...

If you are sending emails as being from email@youraccount.plus.com via another SMTP service ... some where down the road such emails could fail SPF validation checks.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.