Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email full ( old @totalise.co.uk address

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Email full ( old @totalise.co.uk address

Ive sometimes help  soemone with their emails ( not all that tech savy)  , and every now and again he stops receiving mail, he is with plusnet over 70 years old, and its something to do with the inbox being full.

The email address ends with @totalise.co.uk, and a small sum is paid to keep this email address active

This person is involved with a parish council, as well as a civic society and often gets large documents (ie pdfs) and emails with quite a few pictures attached that frequently pushes the inbox over an unknown limit.

Personaly this is something i have not come across and only seems to affect the @totalise email account of this person, is there a setting somewhere that can be changed?Huh

6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Email full ( old @totalise.co.uk address

If his e mail is currently IMAP, mail is kept on PN servers; if he converts to POP3, they would all d/load to his local PC; these can easily be backed to a separate back up drive.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Gel I'm guessing here (as you were), but I suspect @pint 's freind is using webmail, given his age and the age of 'Totalise', so your suggestion is possibly wrong.

If he is using webmail, I don't think there is any way to save the emails locally - the only thing he could do is extract the documents/pictures he wishes to save to a location, such as 'My Pictures' or 'My Documents' on his computer, and then delete the email.

I have a feeling the storage limit on Totalise webmail is fairly small, so it is easy to exceed the limit and end up with this situation.

Personally, I have never used webmail precisely for this reason, but stick to POP3, periodically saving any email to external drives should I wish to keep them.

@pint The only way to resolve this is to delete old un-needed emails.

John
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

all I know is that the email program being used is thunderbird.
the email inbox full issue is odd, as ive never had any issues with my plusnet email inbox filling up (and that's stored on the server not downloaded)
tried to move him to gmail, but very attached to the @totalise address, so.much so that he is paying plusnet extra per month, to retain it on a basic plusnet adsl account that has long passed minimum term and is now costing god knows what (£45+ per month?)

as the totalise email is being paid for, I would have thought that storage limits shouldnt be an issue
jab1
Legend

OK, @pint . The only thing I can think of is that  somehow the 'save emails on server for xx days' setting has got corrupted or altered for some reason. I assume the account is set up as POP3 rather than IMAP?

Another remote possibility, although it shouldn't have any effect - what release of TB is he using? - if it is not the current one, it just may be an issue, but I doubt it.

John
jab1
Legend

@pint Just another thought/way of checking. How many, if any, messages are showing in webmail?

John
jab1
Legend

@pint Sorted it yet?

John