Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Plusnet re relay.plus.net

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Email from Plusnet re relay.plus.net

No plans to remove the smtp.plus.net alias, and it should work as well as relay.plus.net will once the SPF records are published.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks Bob.

For interests sake, the other email (relay outgoing) came in at 33 minutes past midnight this morning.

grahamn
Rising Star

Decided to run two more tests this morning on two different clients...I cannot get anything to successfully send from the plusnet account to gmail on Win10 Mail clent even after changing the outbound to relay.xxx. Sending to my business, independently hosted mail was fine. Thunderbird is fine with both and again, using the smtp/relay server, mail to gmail is there within a minute or two. Messages sent using the Win10 client don't place a copy in sent though when using plusnet account, but this has always been the case. Thunderbird does this without issue, so putting that particular peculiarity down to the Win10 Mail client.

Dolcetta
Hooked

I'm also having problems as pick up my plusnet mails through gmail. Tried to make the changes today but get Authentication Failed messages.

Please advise

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @Dolcetta, using a mailbox checking tool I've just been able to authenticate your mailboxes (don't worry I can't see either your login details or your emails to do this) As that worked fine can you check and see if you can log into them on https://webmail.plus.net/ - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dolcetta
Hooked

Thanks Adam for your message. Does that mean I can now configure the server in gmail? 

Have just tried again and same problem with authentication............

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No, but there's nothing stopping you from doing that. To clarify I've tested the logins for your mailboxes which worked fine and I'm asking if you could try logging into them on our webmail site.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dolcetta
Hooked

I haven't had a problem in logging into my webmail - but don't use this for picking up or sending messages. Want to carry on using gmail, but this doesn't seem to be working.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK cheers, I just wanted to make sure you could authenticate on the mailboxes one way or another. Have you had that working previously? It would be worth double checking that you've entered in the login details for the mailboxes in the right format, it should be username+mailbox name. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dolcetta
Hooked

Have been using the same set up for years - it is only after receiving a message today that I had to change the server to relay.plus.net that things wouldn't work. I can't make any changes so the server is still showing as mx.avasin.plus.net

The instructions in the new message I received asking me to change my set up says:

Brand

Outgoing Server (SMTP)
Port 25 or 587
Username Format Email Address Format
Plusnet relay.plus.net [username] [mailbox]@
[username].plus.com

so not as you've just suggested: username+mailbox name.

Are there specific instructions for making these changes in gmail?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

AFAIK the mailbox logins wouldn't differ from the format I've mentioned. We'd not be able to instruct you on how to configure gmail for that but another Community member should be able to enlighten you. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dolcetta
Hooked

OK - thanks again.

Any Community member out there able to help? Works fine in gmail at the moment with mx.avasin.plus.net with just my mailbox name as my username. When I try and change the SMTP server to relay.plus.net I get an error - authentication failed.

grahamn
Rising Star

Hi Dolcetta,

Nothing should need to change to access your gmail, unless I'm misunderstanding.

What email client are you using  for gmail and what changes have you made to it? You can pm me details if you prefer.

I assume you forward your plusnet mail to gmail or you have gmail configured to poll your plusnet mail, which I do with various email accounts.

Graham

grahamn
Rising Star

Gmail servers are smtp.gmal.com, on port 587, SSL/TLS and imap.gmail.com on 993, with SSL/TLS used.

If using a non-Google email client, google security settings in the user's google account will need to have the setting "less secure apps on" to allow this else authentication fails.

Dolcetta
Hooked

Thanks Graham - I'll send you more details via a pm.