cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email forwarding and spam

garywood84
Rising Star

Email forwarding and spam

My main mailbox is at Plusnet, but I have a domain with another service provider.  On that domain, I have an email address which is set to forward email to my Plusnet mailbox.  I've been running this system problem-free for years.  However, in the last couple of weeks, I've encountered a problem. 
I keep getting failed delivery reports in my Plusnet mailbox.  These show that a message sent to my domain email address has been correctly forwarded to Plusnet, but Avasin is rejecting it as spam (correctly, because the message is spam).  This generates a failed delivery report that is returned to my forwarding email address, from where it's forwarded it back to my Plusnet mailbox, so I then receive it!
Something has clearly changed that's created this loop.  Can anyone advise about this, or suggest a way to resolve it?
7 REPLIES 7
Warthog

Re: Email forwarding and spam

Me too. I've not obviously changed anything but I'm now getting on average 10 failed delivery messages a day.
Anyone have any ideas what's changed?
Cheers
garywood84
Rising Star

Warthog,
Thanks for replying. Is you external domain with One and One, by any chance?
I did some more digging into this earlier, and found that since 2 February, One and One has changed one of the headers it adds to emails when forwarding them on. There's a header called "return-path" and until 2 February, it was set as the original sender's email address, so the rejection notice from Plusnet would go to the message originator. Since 2 February, "return-path" has been set to the forwarding email address, which means that any rejections/bounces come back to the Plusnet mailbox instead of the original sender of the email. I've reported this to One and One this afternoon, and it says it hasn't made any intentional changes, but is investigating and I have an open ticket with its support team at the moment.
If you're with One and One, it would be great if you could report this too, because the more people with the issue, the more importance it's likely to assign to fixing it!
Cheers,
Gary
Warthog

Gary,
Spot on. I'll contact one and one.
Thanks
Brian
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks, Brian.
This is also now being reported by other Plusnet users, too: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124419.msg1080679.html#msg1080679
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Warthog
Spot on. I'll contact one and one.

Just commented on the thread here.
Did they ever get back to you Brian?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

garywood84
Rising Star

I've heard back from 1&1.  Please see my latest post in the other thread about this: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124419.msg1081502.html#msg1081502
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I occasionally have this issue - as have my domain used for email etc with Freeola and forward email to Plusnet.
If PN would host domain names at a reasonable charge I would keep it with them !
Mal