cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email format not accepted

billandavis

Email format not accepted

Hello all I am new here.

I only joined to get your views on the email format of Plusnet.

I recently attempted to apply for a bus pass for my Mother in law from her local authority.

In order to apply I had to set up and account with the authority but the email@username.plus.com wasn't accepted despite several attempts.  I have a suspicion that the use of two full stops .plus. do not bode well with some account creators.

I then used my email account which ends in   @ntlworld.com the account was created with no fuss and I was allowed to complete the application.

Whilst I fully understand the method to the madness in that it allows a user to create as many email inboxes as they wish the format is not accepted by all systems.

We also had hiccups when my father in law moved from Talk Talk which used @talktalk.net as the suffix and tried to change his email address with a US company which he ordered cigars with.  We had to use my email address without problem and I then forwarded all order confirmations to his Plusnet email.

I am with Virgin Media and can create up to 10 inboxes and aliases which add to 20 surely enough for any account holder?

My questions are;  has anyone else encountered this problem and if not why only me??? 

Is this is an known issue and if it is then why has it not bee rectified yet as the first time I encountered it was over 2 years ago.

If I am the first then I will be surprised.

My Mother in law is due to move house soon so I may move her to a new ISP with no compatibility issues, if this is so.

8 REPLIES 8
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Email format not accepted

Hi @billandavis 

Welcome to the Forums. 

I apologise for the inconvenience this must have caused you. 

To be completely honest - this is the first time i personally have seen or heard about this particular issue, however I shall have a word with a few colleagues and see if they have had any dealings with issues of this nature. 

I'd be interested to see if anyone on the forums has run into this issue with other services / websites? 

Thanks 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@billandavis 

I managed to get some information much quicker than I envisaged!

This sort of issue is generally caused by very poor validation on whatever system or site you are putting your email into.

Whilst our email format is a little different than the generic ones, it is still completely valid - unfortunately some systems apply quite strict validation which shows ours as invalid, even when they are not. 

I'm afraid that there doe snot seem to be much we can do as this would be down to the way in which the systems are specifically designed. 

Apologies. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

In order to apply I had to set up and account with the authority but the email@username.plus.com wasn't accepted despite several attempts.  I have a suspicion that the use of two full stops .plus. do not bode well with some account creators.

Seems odd that local authorities would reject an email address with two full stops, since most of them would have their own email addresses as email@authority.gov.uk Roll_eyes

I use both email@username.plus.com and email@domain.org.uk addresses and can't recall a problem with registering those with any systems

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If this was a general problem then every company with a @xxx.co.uk address would have a problem. I have however come across security systems that would reject addresses with two dots before the @.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

SWMBO and I have applied/registered for umpteen things with our Plusnet addresses, including bus passes, with no problem.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@billandavis

Rather than approaching this as an ISP problem (which it isn't) I suggest completing a feedback form to the local authority to report the problem (the valid email address which you specify being rejected).

I've reported comment form completion problems to the local council on a couple of occasions  These were character, not email-format related problems but each resulted in a call from the webmaster and the problem was fixed in a few days.

David
Mav
Fixes: 514

Just as an addition to the above, I was given an email address to send some info to Social Services. The email was in the form of Firstname.Surname@kent.gov.uk. It repeatedly got rejected as invalid because I failed to notice the capital letters and sent as firstname.surname@kent.gov.uk. Once I changed it it went through with no issue. I have never seen any other occurance of capitalisation making a difference to an email's validity.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Mav  Neither have I - though I'm not surprised it was a gov.uk address.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)