cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email for new customers.

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Email for new customers.

Is there a problem with setting up email on new accounts atm? 
When I set up an account for someone, I usually sort out their email etc ready the same day, but Ive not been able to do anything for the past 10 days.    EU signed up and paid for an Unlimited account 2 weeks ago, but all I get is this in their email settings page.

If you are an existing customer
Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account. To raise any queries and to upgrade your account, please use the Contact Us tool here at the Portal
If you have recently joined PlusNet
It may take up to 30 minutes until you can access this feature of your account. Please try again later.

Their old (ISP) mail account is being closed in a couple of days so I really need to get them an email address asap..  in the meantime Ive had to put my own email address in their contact details Sad
12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Email for new customers.

There's nothing that we're aware of at the moment that should be causing this.
If you can drop me a PM with the username of the account in question I can have a look
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
kitz
Aspiring Pro

cheers... you haz mail.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just manually added the e-mail component and it should now work
If you have a look the default e-mail should be username@username.plus.com but you should be able to edit this
Any further issues do let us know
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Thanks muchly, I can take it from there Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Unless the user referred to by kitz is the same one another instance of this is covered here. Also I think a staff member had to add someone else's email component in the last couple of weeks.
I suspect the issue is probably wider spread than Plusnet believe.
David
David
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Agreed something doesn't appear to be right there.
E-mail isn't my speciality so I'll let one of the Digi Care guys dig further on Monday
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Nope, definitely not the same account. 
Although judging from info in that other post, the time span for the sign up would be about the same.  Both accounts are broadband and phone.
Its only because I usually set up the account and mail and routers for those people I sign up I knew something was unusual, the other person wouldnt be expected to  know this.
avatastic
Grafter

I did read somewhere that e-mail isn't added to new accounts any more, if the EU signs up and provides an existing e-mail address. If they don't provide an existing address then e-mail is added to the account.
[edit]Found it[/edit]
Quote from: Bob
Whilst I understand your frustration, it's worth recognising that new customers are not offered email accounts by default when signing up.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
kitz
Aspiring Pro

if the EU signs up and provides an existing e-mail address.

lol thats funny ^.. no actually its hilarious...  
I didnt think people could sign up without an email address these days?  
Numerous times in the past Ive  had to supply people signing up with a temp address of mine....  just so they could sign up.
The logic of that statement then is you cant sign up without an email address..   but if you have an existing email address then youre not offered a PN one.
..  excuse me I need to recover from a bout of hysterics at the lack of logic.  
---
ahem now composed.   Lips_are_sealed
That has got to be rubbish shirley, because in the past I have provided temp emails to people signing up to PN.  Ive not a any problems setting up  PN mail before now and I have a specific email address that I use for  those in this situation.
Ive had what must be >12 yrs experience of setting up accounts from the EU's side, and this is the first time Ive encountered this issue.... perhaps Ive been 'lucky'...  
....  but in this particular case its totally  a moot point.  
it's worth recognising that new customers are not offered email accounts by default when signing up.

because 100% it was mentioned that an email address was needed and I was only providing a temp email address so the signup could proceed.
The sign up on this particular occasion was done by phone specifically  because it was a sim-provide and needed a LORN.... (rather than MAC key).
----
PS Edited to add
@ avastic I wasnt laughing at you..  just the 'unlogical' logic of that statement which you linked.  Thanks Smiley
avatastic
Grafter

I'm serious, and don't call me Shirley!  Wink
What about people (I'm thinking Silver Surfers) who are completely new to the internet, saw the adverts on TV and decided to sign up so they could Skype(tm) with their grandchildren. They probably won't have an existing e-mail address.
Short of attempting the signup process with a random phone number it's impossible to see what the route is, but I guess you have more experience with it. Is it possible that it is an optional field and you're filling it in instinctively? Perhaps it's different if you sign up over the phone too.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
kitz
Aspiring Pro

>>  Is it possible that it is an optional field and you're filling it in instinctively?
You may have a point..  Im not sure enough to say for certain, other than I just fill the field in.  Will need to look closely next time to see if its marked as optional or not.
>> What about people (I'm thinking Silver Surfers) who are completely new to the internet
Did one before xmas in exactly those circumstances...  and I put in my 'temp' email address to sign him up.   
It didnt stop me being able to configure his own email within a couple of hours once everything had gone through on the system. 
>> don't call me Shirley!
Sorry bob  Crazy Wink
ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

The relevant part of sign up is attached.
It defaults to provide your own email but you do have the option to sign up a plusnet one if you don't already have an e-mail.
The email fields aren't optional and require either an email provided or a plusnet email created.
Should clear up that aspect of everything at least.