cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email encryption password

randpwar
Grafter

Email encryption password

I use a Metronet email address and it’s just this week started to ask me to enter a password, that now pops up, into a box…….never had anything like this before, why the change and what’s the reason for it?.    Huh
52 REPLIES 52
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Email encryption password

How are you sending and receiving your email? Using Webmail or a local mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird? If you are using a local client then can you log into your mailbox here?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

randpwar
Grafter

Thanks Bob. I'm using webmail. Plesea see attachment
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That is a security feature known as a CAPTCHA which is aimed at stopping automated (spam) messages generated by computers. Humans can read and enter the text shown in the box.
It is used on webmail when users are not using a Plusnet connection. Are you connecting to webmail differently this week, eg away from home or using a mobile phone?
David
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks spraxyt, Everything as per normal, same pc at home nothing different at all apart from this turning up
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Are you on a dynamic IP address - if so it is probable it's changed and that Metronet web mail server thinks you are a foreigner so to speak
randpwar
Grafter

Sorry Jim but I'm not even sure I know what a 'dynamic IP address ' is  Embarrassed  actually I am sure I don't know......I do, however, know that absolutely nothing has been changed at my end and then this appears this week!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don't suppose you've been working from home this week, or have been connecting to a work VPN? If you have then, you would probably be hitting the Webmail servers from a different IP.
If you haven't then I suspect the CAPTCHA code doesn't know about some of the new IP ranges we've introduced. The next time it happens, go here, make a note of the IP address, and then post the first two octets to this thread e.g. if your IP address is 127.0.0.1 then post 127.0.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

randpwar
Grafter

Hi Bob,
I’m at work now so I’ll look tonight or over the weekend. I do not access webmail at work (it’s disallowed), however, SWMBO can and does but has done so for years without this appearing. You say, ‘the next time it happens’, just to clarify, it has never happened in the last 4-5 years of having a Metronet email address, appeared for the first time last week and has appeared each and every time we’ve composed an email since
Kind Regards
Rob 
randpwar
Grafter

Bob
Hope this helps
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think that IP range was brought into use during the 3rd week of November. As Bob mentioned the problem will be that the CAPTCHA code doesn't recognise it as a Plusnet range so raises the check.
I expect Bob or one of the Digital Care Team will raise a problem report on Monday to get this fixed.
David
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks spraxyt  Smiley
I'll raise it with Bob on Monday
Thanks
Rob
randpwar
Grafter

Morning Plusnet staff. Please see reply #9 where I have detailed the first two characters of my ip address in response to a request from Bob Pullen who has been investigating this issue for me
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, got a few examples from the guys on the phones too and I'm almost certain my suspicions are correct. I've raised an internal problem and asked our network bods to take a look (ref: 64875).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

randpwar
Grafter

Still having to put this password thingy in………any news when this is going to be sorted?