cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email download problem

vquinton

Email download problem

My email account has developed the dreaded download problem.  Its started a few months ago occasionally, got steadily worse to the point that downloads are now very infrequent and completely random making the service virtually unusable. Various messages pop up which would indicate that there is not one consistent cause.  I've tried the fixes that I can find already on the forum; flushing DNS cache and resetting the list order to none.  Also tried the PN support suggestion to try another browser and clear history.  All to no avail.  I generally use Chrome which is usually stable but get the same problem in Edge. Does anyone have any other suggestions?  Its increadibly frustrating.  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Email download problem

Hi @vquinton 

A warm welcome to the forums.

Your description is not overly clear, so it is difficult to advise.  You mention the use of two web browsers, so would I be correct in guessing that you are using WEBMAIL to access your mailbox?  If yes, which one Round Cube (the default one) or Squirrel mail (the basic one)?

If the default one, exactly what issue are you encountering?

Is there a specific error message?

Have you looked at the slow performance mitigation topic at the top of this forum?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

vquinton

I access my email via the plusnet site using the links provided wehn I log into my plusnet account and then the email.  I have no idea what round cube or squirrel is and can see nothing to indicate either.  The email page opens up okay but the message windows are all blank and a dialogue box appears with various messages such as SERVER ERROR: failed to send FETCH command or failed to load or timed out.  

Occasionally the messages populate the inbox pane but as soon as you open a message and try to return to the inbox you find that it is unable to download all over again rendiring the account absolutely useless.

Support technicians just talkobout closing browsers, fiddling about with settings all to no avail.

The problem started a couple of years ago with slow loading of emails and has now ground to a halt.

Any help appreciated

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Slow webmail

There is a known gremlin in the third party Round Cube webmail program which can cause delays in listing emails - see the end user mitigation post at the top of the Email board here. It somewhat appears that any sorting or filtering on a large mailbox cripples the performance of RC webmail, where as the 'basic' webmail program (Squirrel Mail) is not affected. Using Squirrel Mail can be an effective way of accessing a mail box which is running slow with RC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.