cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email deletion on android

terrydorset

Email deletion on android

Hello. I'm new to the forum and have been told by Plusnet that someone here will be able to help me (because they couldn't)!

When I delete an email on my android phone another copy of it immediately get puts back into my inbox. Deleting with Webmail works okay, as does deleting on my desktop running Thunderbird. I've tried deleting my profile on the phone and setting it up again and have verified the settings with Plusnet but it didn't help. Any ideas out there?

4 REPLIES 4
Batman50

Re: Email deletion on android

I'm not an expert but have you looked at Email, Settings, your mail account, Incoming settings, Delete emails from your server and check it says Delete there too and not Never.  

terrydorset

Thanks. I had this set to delete when I set the phone up but now that option doesn't come up.

Even so, I don't see why it should bounce a copy of the email back into my inbox just because it isn't deleted on the server.

It worked fine up until a few weeks ago. I think something must have happened (an update to Android possibly) to change this but I haven't found anything yet

Batman50

It only became a problem a couple of weeks ago so you may be right it is an Android "enhancement".

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@terrydorset wrote:

Even so, I don't see why it should bounce a copy of the email back into my inbox just because it isn't deleted on the server.

But that this the very essence on how this SHOULD work.  IMAP is a sync between the server and the client and the server is the mast (authoritative) view of the mailbox.  When the client deletes the mail item, the delete is queued for the server during which time in the client the mail item vanishes.  If the end to end transaction fails, the item is NOT deleted on the server ... and it will reappear on the client.

This typically arises from a server time out - see if your clients allow the server time out to be adjusted.

Yet another update to android ... now there's a surprize!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.