cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email client set up.

Roddyr01
Hooked

Email client set up.

I have set up Outlook as an email client on two Android devices. It has set up and connected OK but continually asks me to log in. If I use the same password for both IMAP and SMTP it connects and downloads emails but the next time it tries to connect it asks me to log in again. Are my IMAP and SMTP passwords the same? If not how do I find my SMTP password?

3 REPLIES 3
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Email client set up.

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi @Roddyr01 

The short answer is yes they are.  The long answer is that this might not be a password problem!!

1. Is the password being requested for the IMAP server (inbound) or just the SMTP server (outbound)?
  2. Are you connecting over a Plusnet connection (WiFi on to your router) or over a 4/5G mobile network?
  3. Have you configured Outlook to remember the password?

There are a multitude of reports on the internet of issues with Android running Outlook, issues which do not occur on Windows platforms.  If you are only seeing this in respect of the SMTP server, then there is a possibility that the IP address you are connecting over (usually 4/5G) has been black balled and the connection is being refused ... which unhelpfully reports as a password failure.

One sure way to verify that your account is not misconfigured is to log into the mail account using webmail and to send an email from that interface.  There after it is down to the configuration details on your device or the characteristics of the connection.

The connection details are as below...

IMAP - imap.plus.net port 993 encryption SSL/TLS

SMTP - relay.plus.net port 587 encryption STARTTLS

SMTP (outgoing server) requires logon - use the same as incoming

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Roddyr01
Hooked

Thanks for that  I'll re-check the Outlook settings and let you know.