Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email attachments getting lost.

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Email attachments getting lost.

Could anyone explain please why I can't receive pdf and word attachments from one particular colleague?. The actual email arrives referring to the attachment, but nothing is attached. I've checked it's not being dumped in a spam folder (I don't separate spam anyway if it gets through the PN server), and all attachments sent by others are arriving without any problems.
The colleague is apparently attaching and sending the attachments (as advised by her IT expert) and others are receiving them ok, so...... Huh
Any advice gratefully received.  Smiley
20 REPLIES 20
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Email attachments getting lost.

Sorry for the number of questions, but which email client are you using? That might be silently removing "unsafe" attachments.
Are the attachments still there if you check in webmail before downloading the message? Are you able to receive such attachments sent by others?
David
nozzer
Hero

Tried using webmail - see my other recent thread. Yes, other attachments are arriving ok. Using Incredimail, but there is no means of stripping out attachments on the version I use.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Now Webmail is working again for you I think it is important to check if the lost attachments are present before the message is downloaded.
David
PeeGee
Pro

Do you still have a problem if you use a MS client (Outlook etc)?
I haven't seen this situation for a while (I now use a different OS and client Huh ). However, the e-mails were always sent from a Microsoft messaging system and my (MS Windows based) client did not handle the attachment mechanism used (though a Microsoft client did) - I don't recall if I tried webmail Sad I still have problems with MS generated multipart messages, which generally produce garbage (ie raw HTML) as there is no "plain text" part Shocked

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
nozzer
Hero

Quote from: spraxyt
Now Webmail is working again for you I think it is important to check if the lost attachments are present before the message is downloaded.

Right. The usual Friday attachment has been sent, and it's there in webmail. However, I download it to my email client and it's gone, although the email itself is there. This would point to my email client being up the spout, except that if the same email with the same attachment is sent to me from another email address the attachment does arrive in the same client.
The thot plickens!  Smiley This has me baffled.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

does your email client give you the option of making an email sender trusted or untrusted
nozzer
Hero

I can block senders but the dialog is currently blank. The email itself arrives (so it's not being blocked) but the attachment has gone.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Is the email coming in plain text or html and is it the same as the ones which arrive successfully
You could also try disabling your anti virus temporarily
nozzer
Hero

It's a .doc. I tried disabling the antivirus but no difference. As I say, the attachment arrives if it's sent from another email address.
Yes the documents are all the same format.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

not the document the email format
the other question - I haven't seen it - which email client are you using
nozzer
Hero

I'm using Incredimail. The format is apparently .eml
Oldjim
Resting Legend

nozzer
Hero

Yes, it's already checked! Not many more options left really.
I've looked through the IM help forum and there are several people who have had this problem in the past, but no solution was offered. So....  Sad
By the way Jim, did I see your name on another forum to do with a certain make of car?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I doubt it as I don't frequent car forums