cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email alias domain name

Roddyr01
Hooked

Email alias domain name

I want to set up an alias with a .scot domain but it appears that I can only use .co.uk Is that correct?

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Email alias domain name

Can you please expand on your question?

What have you got?

Who have you got it with?

What do you want to do?

Note that Plusnet no longer offers hosting for new personal domain names.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @Roddyr01 

The only domains we provide are for those who have had one long ago with us. 

Looking at your account there are no domains listed so I'm afraid if you'd want one you'd have to find another registrar. 

Aliases with us would be in the format of anything@username.plus.com

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Roddyr01
Hooked

I already own a domain name and have an email address, roddy@clootiedumpling.scot, This forwards from the domain host to my plusnet account.

What I want to do is set up an alias on my plusnet account so that I can send mail from my  .scot domain. via my plusnet account..

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the clarification @Roddyr01 

I don't believe this is possible as an alias you'd setup via your Plusnet account would need to be a Plusnet email address

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

OK I think some light is emerging here...

You have your own domain name held somewhere else which you have forwarding emails to you@youraccount.plus.net

You want to SEND emails using your domain name via the Plusnet SMTP server.

Whilst FORWARDING is never ideal (it creates complications) what you want can be done if you know what you are about.  Consider the following...

• you@yourdomain.scot is set to forward to scot@youraccount.plus.net
  • You wish to send as you@yourdomain.scot using the Plusnet SMTP service ... because I guess that your forwarding service does not offer a free SMTP service

If that is a correct summary, I believe what you want to do might be achievable, but do not anticipate any support from Plusnet if the following does not work...

1. In you favourite email client, create a new email account with the ADDRESS you@yourdomain.scot being sure to chose MANUAL setup
  2. Set the inbound server to be mail.plus.net [port 933 with SSL/TLS]
  3. Set the user ID (account) to be youraccount+scot
  4. Set the outbound server to be relay.plus.net [port 587 with STARTTLS]
  5. Set the user ID (account) to be youraccount+scot
  6. From some other email address send an email to you@yourdomain.scot
  7. Verify that it (eventually) arrives in your Plusnet mailbox accessible in the new email account just set up
  8. Do a reply and check that it arrives back with the sender

EDIT: With the above configuration, your email application will behave as you@yourdomain.scot using scot@youraccount.plus.net as its inbound and outbound servers.  The wrinkle here might be with any receiving domain expecting SPF compliance, but that might be addressable when you have this working.

HTH - though I suspect that you might really want all emails from all addresses in one bucket, you would not be able to send using distinct email addresses with that approach.  Forwarding emails or harvesting emails under one account really does create some right royal messes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Roddyr01
Hooked

OK. Thanks Townsman and Gandalf.