Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email addresses in Address book have become corrupt

randpwar
Grafter

Re: Email addresses in Address book have become corrupt

I hear what you say MC….
….But I’m still entitled to expect a robust and secure email system ie one that doesn’t turn my email contacts into gobbledegook and then lose them completely
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Whilst I don't disagree with you randpwar, I give the same advise as MC. Most systems will fail at some point so it is always wise to backup important information. Personally I keep few of my contacts in the web based address book, I keep them in my client, this I have also copied to another computer, could have done it to a floppy as well I suppose, but haven't updated it lately  Embarrassed
Perhaps there is a question to Plusnet here. What backups do they make of our emails and address books and are they readily recoverable?
randpwar
Grafter

@MC and @Anotherone - Many thanks for your well meaning and useful advice; I will take heed.  Smiley
Plusnet Staff -I had no idea that this change was imminent or that it would mean the loss of all my email contacts. Where are my email contacts? When have you planned in getting them back for me?
Rob
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Edit: To correct the response
When you log into Squirrel Mail are they still there and no longer corrupted?
If so and all is ok there, see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,103920.0.html
randpwar
Grafter

No, our email contact addresses are still not in the address book.
I now access webmail here: https://betawebmail.plus.net/?_task=mail
Clicking on Address Book opens another screen split into 'Groups' (which contains Personal Addresses) and 'Contacts' which is blank.
randpwar
Grafter

A direct question to Plusnet staff, please:
Where are our email contacts addresses following the transfer to the new webmail?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: randpwar
Plusnet Staff -I had no idea that this change was imminent or that it would mean the loss of all my email contacts. Where are my email contacts? When have you planned in getting them back for me?

It shouldn't have meant loss of your email contacts. It may be that they weren't ported across properly though. We fixed a load of Metronet accounts yesterday evening/this morning so I'd be interested to know whether or not your address book is empty?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

randpwar
Grafter

Thanks Bob,
They certainly weren't there last night; I'll check when I get home this evening and post in here either way
Rob
randpwar
Grafter

Yes, we now have our email contact addresses in the address book and I've been able to create a new contact and use it to send an email. Thanks for your help.
Now, if only I could remember what Anotherone and MC advised me to do  Wink