cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email address query

Roberto0151
Grafter

Email address query

When  I joined PN about a year ago I somehow got my second (backup?) Email address as "postmaster@xxxx" while my prime address is "mail@xxxx".  This means I always get all PN messages in duplicate in my inbox - no real problem but rather silly and fairly useless  Embarrassed
It would make much more sense to set my gmail address as a backup in case something went wrong with my PN address.
In spite of looking (often) in the help centre etc., I  haven't found the way to do it. Could some kind soul offer any help?
21 REPLIES 21
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Email address query

We always send emails to 'postmaster', it's just the way the system works. As a result the postmaster address is always set up as a redirect to your main mailbox, hence the duplicates. If you set up postmaster as a separate mailbox you'll stop getting the duplicates, though I appreciate this doesn't get you your external backup. Having said that you could change the redirect properties so it redirects postmaster emails to your gmail account?
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks Matt for the suggestion.
I'll browse through the system and see if I can work out how to do it  Smiley
Roberto0151
Grafter

Further to my last reply,  I've found the place, but the system won' t  let me redirect from an address I currently have.
At least I *think* it won't - I confess I find some of the PN  help centre advice not particularly intuitive.
What I am trying to do is to redirect mail addressed to  "postmaster@xxxx.plus.com" to xxxx@gmail.com but I understand that the redirect address cannot be the same as an existing mailbox address.????
O.K. I'm dim,  but I've obviously misunderstood something somewhere.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You need to delete postmaster etc and then recreate it as a redirect
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks  Old J, but I still can't get it to work.
This is what completely foxes me : "This is the email address which the sender will choose in their email software."  It's really only  mail from PN to me that I am concerned about.  If a destination address is the address which the mail is redirected to,  what then is the redirect name if I cannot use my PN email address?
Roberto0151
Grafter

Sorry to bore everyone, but maybe I'm now half way there.
I've created a new email redirect address and am now waiting to see whether mail from PN will be addressed to it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Try it yourself.
Send an email to postmaster etc
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could wait a long time, Often I only get two PN e-mails at month end

the lookup name for additional e-mail is username+other
so for postmaster it would be username+postmaster
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not for sending an email it isn't
The point here is that we are checking whether an email to postmaster@username.plus.com finishes up in the right mailbox
Roberto0151
Grafter

I guess it probably will end up in the right mailbox but my concern is whether PN  will send their info. emails to that address or only to the current one.
I think I'm due for an bill notification in a few days time so I'll find out then
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You can set up an alternative e-mail address for PN mail, but they also send a copy to Postmaster, some of us, we dont know why get three copies  (Jelv and me)
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes, I've also given up trying to stop getting a second copy of the Plusnet emails!  I always get two, both addressed to postmaster@....
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Roberto0151,
I've added you a postmaster redirect and pointed that to the gmail, apologies if you didn't want that doing but it should get your postmaster emails into your gmail account as you posted earlier?
@ChrisL, you get two copies of each email because we send one to the email address on your account and also to the postmaster@username.plus.com - I can see you've got a separate postmaster email box which should stop you getting two copies into your default mailbox though?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

What about Jelv and me with three copies, I get one individual, then the following day two with Envelope too,
To: postmaster@!"£$£$%.free-online.co.uk
Reply-to: support@free-online.net
Cc: postmaster@!!""££$.me.uk
sorry havnt got the third one, trash bin cleared