cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account capacity

btn
Dabbler

Email account capacity

Hello - can anyone advise me what I can do with old emails I wish to keep?  I keep getting warnings that I am reaching the capacity of my email account and it is getting increasingly difficult to weed out emails I don't need to keep. I have been a plusnet customer for many years and I think this problem will only get worse as time goes on.

I work on a number of different computers but they are all owned by my workplace so I don't want to download my private emails onto them. The only device I actually own is an Ipad which doesn't have capacity to store them.

As a side note it seems strange that an account I pay for (the plusnet one) has a limited capacity and my other account which is free (AOL) seems to be able to store 1000s of emails with no problem.

5 REPLIES 5
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Email account capacity

Hi @btn

Could you set up an email client on your IPad and then forward the emails that you want to keep to that device?

My understanding is that email clients work with the storage you have available on your device and are therefore much less likely to run out of space than the finite limit of your webmail inbox. Once you've transferred the emails you can then delete them locally within webmail to free up some space.

Thanks

Dave

Ayjay

I have the same exact problem, I have used PlusNet webmail for over 15 years. I want to use some sort of archiving. There is a special "archive" folder you can set up but it is unclear how to use it. It does seem that the archiving might park the mails and then delete them after a short while (weeks). I'm reluctant to set it up until I'm sure what I'm doing!! I have several folders with old mails going back some years, I don't want to lose them (some are about work and I might need them for reference) but I don't need to access them on demand, I'd be happy to get them back after a few days. I want to park them safely somewhere I can recall them from. Anything else I can do?

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

@btn 

Can you not simply get a USB stick, put it in the various work machines and download/archive the mail to that stick.

Exactly how will depend on what you use as a Mail Client. Most mail clients allow you to export mail to a file, and if the file is on the USB stick, you can then remove it from the workplace computer and carry it away.

I think you can connect a USB stick to an iPad, but as I don't have one I can't confirm that.

The other alternative might be to forward the e-mails you want to keep to your AOL account.

btn
Dabbler

Hi thanks for the suggestion. The iPad has limited storage capacity so I think this would not be a long term solution unfortunately. 

btn
Dabbler

Hi There is no socket for a usb stick in an I-pad unfortunately although At least I would be able to store the emails on the usb and access them later if necessary with another device ( although not exactly convenient).