cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Stopped Working on Mac

obrienptr
Hooked

Email Stopped Working on Mac

On 6 June my Plusnet email stopped syncing to Outlook on my MacBook Air with Mojave. All the settings were OK and the same settings work fine on a Windows 10 PC, iPad and iPhone. The problem seems that Outlook cannot connect to the IMAP servers. I have 3 separate Plusnet mail accounts and none of them are working.

After wasting many hours on this I deleted the accounts and set them up again but with the same result. I also tried setting them up in the Mac Mail client but it couldn’t connect to the servers either.

I see there was a similar thread last year but that it was never resolved. Has anybody got any ideas on how to resolve this, or is just a case that you can’t use Plusnet email accounts on a Mac, which seems ludicrous?

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Email Stopped Working on Mac

@obrienptr 

Have you checked that you are using the correct ports see https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Plusnet use unencrypted links and most mail clients these days default to the encrypted ones.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

obrienptr
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I have checked that I was using the correct ports, so I don’t think it is that.

i saw a suggestion elsewhere that mail clients on Mac no longer support unencrypted links! In which case I am stuffed but why would they give you the option to not use SSL/TSL?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @obrienptr, I'm sorry for the issues you've been having with your mail.

The option for using SSL needs to be unticked, it may be worth giving this a go to see if you still experience the same issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
obrienptr
Hooked

Hi, Yes, I have SSL unticked in the settings.

it still won’t connect to the servers.

i am beginning to feel that I am going to have to abandon Plusnet, or the Mac. They just don’t seem to be compatible anymore.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, have you had any OS updates on the Mac recently or added/changed any security software that you might have installed?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
obrienptr
Hooked

@adamwalker wrote:

Hi there, have you had any OS updates on the Mac recently or added/changed any security software that you might have installed?

Hi Adam,

I am pretty sure there has been at least one OS update since 6 June. There have also been updates to the email clients I have been using: Outlook and the bundled Mac mail client. I have them set to update automatically.

Unfortunately, I can’t roll everything back to before 6 June because of a separate problem I have had with the Timemachine backup.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sure there'd be a solution to this although we'd need a little more information regarding the setup.

Are you able to either post up or PM me screenshots showing the settings you're using at each step to collect your mail? If you post publicly just make sure you obscure any private information like your username or email address.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I appreciate this won't help with @obrienptr's problem...but as a point of reference:

I'm happily using a Mac (fully up to date - macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G87) using the standard Mail app) to receive POP3 mail from Plusnet without a problem. (Standard settings, default mailbox etc.; set up in February when I clean installed Mojave.)

Hopefully the OP can get this sorted soon.

obrienptr
Hooked

@Gandalf wrote:

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sure there'd be a solution to this although we'd need a little more information regarding the setup.

Are you able to either post up or PM me screenshots showing the settings you're using at each step to collect your mail? If you post publicly just make sure you obscure any private information like your username or email address.

Hi Anoush,

Many thanks will will try tomorrow. Away from Mac this evening.

kind regards,

pat

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Pat
That’s cool, no problem. Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
obrienptr
Hooked

Hi Anoush,

Just PM’d some screen shots.

Thanks! 

Regards,

Pat

@Gandalf wrote:
Hi Pat
That’s cool, no problem. :

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Pat, thanks for the PM

I'll take a look and reply back shortly

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet