cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Security

kmilburn
Grafter

Email Security

I know this has been asked before,  but it's been a while.
Is there any movement within Plusnet to allow you customers to secure their email communications from prying eyes when using other networks?
i.e. Are we likely to see support for STARTTLS or TLS/SSL encryption for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP?

20 REPLIES 20
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Email Security

Hi there,
It's definitely something we want to offer in the future but we don't have any plans in place as yet.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
notwellatthis

It is not funny that Plus Net owned by BT does not offer encryption for customers email accounts (when sending email over the internet)
Or is there something more sinister for why it is not available to Plusnet users etc.  Angry
kmilburn
Grafter

It's nothing sinsiter,  but it is rather lax and somewhat annoying.
One of the significant differences between BT and Plusnet, is that Plusnet have their own email servers, while BT use Yahoo! for email. (IIRC VM and Sky use Google)
If enough customers where to complain about the lack of security, Plusnet would do something about it, but as it stands, most people seem more than happy to turn all security off when instructed!  Angry
AbeC

I was surprised by this years ago when I moved to Plus.
I assumed it wouldn't be long before SSL or something was introduced.
It seems strange that this is still not implemented.
Fraudsters get ever cleverer.  I really think this should be sorted out by now.  Not to do so now seems inadequate of Plus, though I wouldn't know what technical obstacles there were.
This suggests to me that plus.net email accounts should not be used for anything serious.  I am going to start moving away from it, which will be a chore.
I'm surprised plus.net doesn't understand this, because it must make it easier for subscribers to leave if email addresses aren't associated with one's ISP.
boldun

I agree that it is very disappointing for plusnet to disregard the need to be able to login securely from a different network.
At least the webmail has an https:// login which I guess you can use on anything with a browser including a mobile phone. But it should be possible for thunderbird or outlook to login with a securely transmitted password.
samo
Dabbler

"It's definitely something we want to offer in the future but we don't have any plans in place as yet. "
Please can Plusnet make plans to put secure mail in place.... it's not really that difficult and it's putting your customers at an unnecessary risk.
Samo

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How many customers are they losing because of this? I can't recall anyone posting to say they are leaving for this reason. I just can't see it being a priority so I won't be holding my breath over this! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kmilburn
Grafter

They'e probably not losing any  (I'm still here ;)) but the world is changing,  those of us with enough sense only use webmail away from home.
6+ years ago when the issue was first raised,  it was fairly uncommon for people to access there mail from anywhere other than home,  so while additional security would be nice, it wasn't a major issue.
Given the increasing prevalence of smartphones and tablets, and the expectation from customer to be able to access there email wherever they are,  the risk has become significant (IMHO).
There is also the number of users who don't understand the implications of turning security off, or don't care enough to worry, hence the low number of requests.
To complicate matters,  given the procrastination on the subject,  the number of customers that will be affected when security is implemented is getting larger by the day, which given the impact on customer services is likely to lead them to deciding it's not worth it as it's too much hassle.
At this rate,  it's going to take the likes of Watchdog, Which or someone simillar to effectively embarass Plusnet into doing what they should have done years ago.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

With the cut-throat competition for broadband customers these days I would regard secure (SSL) support with email as a plus point.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

... but only for the 5% or so that actually understand what SSL is about!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
... but only for the 5% or so that actually understand what SSL is about!

Minus the subset of that 5% who /really/ want secure mail and who will encrypt end-to-end anyway knowing that your client to the PN server is only one of the many many potentially insecure steps along the way!
x47c
Grafter

mmmmmmmmmmm
Long term I wonder if we see a move away from domestic/mass market ISP's providing any form of email service?
It must be a load of aggro what with spammers/security etc
Perhaps ISP's will just focus on providing an internet connection.
Then at one extreme
Those who don't care about their data being mined will use gmail
Those that really do care will use business grade encrypted emails or business grade ISP's with email support.
Even in the 1980's when abroad my company was using encrpyted messages in faxes.  We didn't trust foreign hotel fax operators!
harry
Dabbler

Without seeing this thread, I just filled in a report to fasthosts about their similar lack of email security. Plusnet is not alone, but I can't think why any 20th or 21st century ISP should think it is proper to require (or even to allow) plain text passwords.
NedLudd
Grafter

I can't believe what some of you guys are saying! Do you really think that some nerdy guy is sat by his PC trapping wifi comms to get your email password?
Gordon Bennett! Don't you think these nerds would be more interested in someone with a modicum of celebrity status?
Get a life.
SSL is crackable in any case.
Geoff,
York.