cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Problem - Samsung Galaxy SII

GrantM

Email Problem - Samsung Galaxy SII

I am having problems setting up email access to a Plusnet email account on an Android phone.
It is a Samsung Galaxy SII running Android 4.0.4. - and using the standard Android mail application.
I have set up access on a previous Android phone without any difficulty. We can access other email accounts - e.g. work email (via an Microsoft Exchange Server) and a Googlemail account on the new phone - but not Plusnet email.
I have tried using IMAP (which worked successfully on her previous phone) and POP3 - using the settings on the Plusnet help page for iPhones. Using IMAP causes a timeout; POP3 shows an "Error encountered" message.
One aspect that is different on the newer version of the Android OS on the Samsung Galaxy is that fewer options are offered - for example, you cannot (as far as I can see) specify the username and password for the incoming and outgoing mail servers - only your email address and email password. You can specify that SSL atuhentication should be used - but there is no option to enter the usual account+username and password.
I would be grateful for any suggestions as to how to solve this.
Grant
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Email Problem - Samsung Galaxy SII

A bit of googling found this
Ah, ok. You have to fill in the details email and incoming server, then uncheck the "push notification" checkbox and the bottom left button will change to "manual setup", and you can configure your IMAP.
It's stupid, I know
here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1567723
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GrantM

Re: Email Problem - Samsung Galaxy SII

Thanks - that's solved the problem. I had tried googling for a solution  - but hadn't come up with anything useful. My mobile phone company/phone provider didn't know how to solve it either.
I agree with the "I know - it's stupid" comment - but tht doesn't matter. I'm just very pleased to get this sorted.
Thanks again.
Grant