cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Only Account Issues - Gandalf

RNye

Email Only Account Issues - Gandalf

This is a bit of a Saga so i hope you are sitting comfortably.

Last year my email stopped being able to send from everything other than webmail (android, apple, outlook etc etc)

A friend took a look at my settings and for some reason i was configured to use a btinternet relay when sending and it had stopped working. Friend recommended that i request having an email only account that would enable me to use plus nets smtp relay. 

This was apparently set up after calling the support team and a load of erroneous charges were made (1 per week at least). This was rectified after another call to the support line. I then with a friends help logged a ticket via the wizard portal (Question #163642002)  and basically nothing happened and its just sat.

In short.I Would like an email only account that enables use of SMTP relay. This has been going on for months now and id really like to resolve it.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Email Only Account Issues - Gandalf

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums. Email only accounts are normally something which are provided to ex-account holders so that they can retain historic email addresses. Were you previously a Plusnet customer and are you now looking to retain that account’s email facility?

If not, you might find an isp independent email provider more appropriate such as Gmail, Outlook.com or Yahoo.

Whatever you do need your account fees sorting @Gandalf

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

blairatholl
Hooked

I'm not surprised. I've been attempting to keep an email only account after moving broadband/phone to John-Lewis Broadband (which by the way is run by PlusNet). I've been quoted three different prices (£1.06, £1.66, £1.69), I've been told it's a monthly contract paid monthly, I've been told it's monthly contract but rolled up and paid once per year, I've been told it's annual contract. I've been told it was going to be set up (more than once) or that it has now been set up. Despite all the words, PlusNet deleted the entire account without warning last week and I spent hours getting it reinstated.

I have written a formal letter of complaint to PlusNet, so far there's been no response from PlusNet. But just now I've received an email saying that (a) I have no payment details while at the same time declaring that (b) I'm paying by cheque so would I set up a Direct Debit since none exists. A Direct Debit has existed since 2009 and I haven't cancelled it. Nonetheless I've done as requested and triggered the setting up of a second Direct Debit to PlusNet. But I don't know for how much, nor the date of payment nor its frequency. How can be confident that it will be what I expect - i.e. £1.06 each month? Answer: near zero.

On my account I can find no record of my email-only arrangement, despite being reassured only yesterday (by John-Lewis Broadband's Customer Advocates Dept, not PlusNet's) that it was all set up. Indeed, my account says I have a free account with no plans for PlusNet to raise any invoice.

I have already been inconvenienced and embarrassed by my account being deleted, even though it was out for 'only' 24 hours. I need it because of the many contacts, formal and informal, made over the years all knowing my plusnet email address.

So, let's see how this pans out. I've wasted so much time on this that it's become more than tiresome.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to the community forums @RNye

Sorry to see how this has been handled on your account.

I think I've sorted this for you now and I'll reply to the open ticket 163642002 shortly too.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Really sorry to hear that @blairatholl

A Plusnet Mail only account costs £1.06 per month.

I think I've sorted this out for you too so you should now have full access to your mail from a mail client (If you use one).

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
slip

Hi Gandalf,

Just seen your previous post - it's similar to my problem .... I think

I was a plusnet customer about 16 years ago; moved job/house and used the factory IP.

I was able to add my 'plus.com' email address to a new gmail account. - The plusnet email address has always been my main email address.

After all these years, about a week ago they stopped downloading.

I deleated and tried to re add the plus.com details in gmail; using what should have been and I beleive to be correct login details - with no luck.

The reason given is:

Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.   Server returned error: "Login failed."

All want to know is: Has my ability to use this old but crucial email address I had/have with you been deleated/frozen ?

I notice the pevious discussion was able to continue using his old plusnet email address by paying a small fee !!

Can you help with this one?

I've not seen any other reference to this 'fee' option - perhaps it could be more out there  🙂

Thanks in anticipation,    Chris

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Chris. Welcome back.

Has my ability to use this old but crucial email address I had/have with you been deleated/frozen ?

It doesn't look like it.

I notice the pevious discussion was able to continue using his old plusnet email address by paying a small fee !!

That's just if you're wanting to send mail via our SMTP server relay.plus.net

I've refreshed the mail component on your account which should fix the issue.

Can you check back in about half an hour?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mikestone
Hooked

I am replying on this thread as it is relevant to my issue - please let me know if this is not correct.

I too have an issue with Plusnet's "email only account", which I had, working satisfactorily, for all of 6 days until Plusnet destroyed (their word!) the account.

A short background - I had been with Plusnet for more years than I can remember and wanted to upgrade to fibre broadband. Unfortunately, Plusnet could (would?) not do this as my house is FTTP so I, reluctantly, ordered fibre from BT in January.

At that time, I spoke to Plusnet support, who told me that I could keep an "email only account" (Ref Question 166223661)

Eventually, not without many issues with both BT and Plusnet which I won't bore you with, on 27 March I was on BT broadband and landline, leaving only my "email only account" with Plusnet. This was confirmed by Plusnet (Ref Questions 171395273 & 171261734) on 28 March. I also received an email from Plusnet on 28 March confirming my product change to what they called "Plusnet Residential Generic Services Product".

All was well for a few days, then this morning I received emails from Plusnet saying "You've successfully deleted your mailbox" - which I most definitely had not done. So I phoned Plusnet, who eventually told me that my account had been destroyed! Obviously I asked that it be re-instated, as Plusnet had destroyed it without any good reason, and was put through to the Options team, who I was told would be able to re-instate the account.

Oh no they couldn't! They told me that they could not re-activate the account as it had been destroyed. Further, they could not open a new account for email only, as a new account has to have a broadband component! The Plusnet guy then suggested that the only option remaining for me was to make a formal complaint, which I replied would be difficult as I could no longer log in to my account! He the offered to speak to his line manager about how to resolve the issue and would get back to me later  (Ref Question 171692551)

So he called back later and passed on what the line manager had said - there was nothing that could be done! He admitted that Plusnet had made an error in destroying the account but said the error could not be undone (updated Ref Question 171692551)

I leave readers to reach their own conclusions as to what sort of customer service this is!

Luckily, in some ways, it took BT so long to install my broadband and phone that I have advised almost everyone (I think!) of my new email address, so Plusnet's incompetence may not cost me too much,

But from what I can see on this forum, Gandalf seems to be able to sort almost everything out - consider it a challenge!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there.

I'm sorry to read of your experience with us.

I've reviewed your account and it looks like it was cancelled by our automated system after your line was transferred away from us. I'm also sorry to see how this was handled by the our support advisers following that.

I've reactivated your account now and changed the account type to mail only which costs £1.06 per month.

If you can PM me the usernames you use for your mailboxes (usually in the format of username+mailbox) I can re-create them for you. From there I'll also raise a request with our e-mail team to restore your mail (If possible).

Once again, please accept my apologies for the experience you have had.

On a side note, I've had a look into your address and I can see we could've provided you with FTTP if you had signed up at trials.plus.net. However, I do wish you all the best with your new provider.

I've also updated ticket 171692551 on your account which you'll be able to view by logging into your account here.

Cheers,

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mikestone
Hooked

Hi Anoush

Well your 'handle' of Gandalf is certainly well deserved! You have solved my problem, quickly and professionally, despite the 'regular' Plusnet Customer Service people (and their line manager) telling me that it was not possible! Thank you very much.

How I wish there were more people like you on the end of a phone at Plusnet.

I have logged in to my new Plusnet Mail account and set up all the mailboxes I used to have (thanks for offering to set them up but you have done enough!) so everything is now working perfectly. Lets just hope that some automated system does not cancel the account again.

I note that the account will cost £1.06 per month and I am very happy to pay this, although Question 171261734 did say that it would be free of charge. 

Also, I appreciate what you said about FTTP and trials.plus.net. I did try to stay with Plusnet back in January and had several conversations about getting BT Sport, which I realised could only be available on a fibre connection (just as an aside - why is it only available through fibre - it seemed to work pretty well with no buffering when I viewed it online through my copper connection whilst waiting for BT to fit the fibre). However, I was told, categorically, by Plusnet support staff (them again!) that FTTP was only available from BT and that Plusnet could not provide it. On hearing this, I reluctantly placed my order with BT. If your support staff had been more knowledgeable about Plusnet's service offerings you would certainly not have lost my business - and I bet I am not the only one. Re-training required?

Once again - thanks very much.

By the way, I would love to click the "This fixed my problem" button but where is it? Is it the 'thumbs up' button?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Mikestone wrote:

By the way, I would love to click the "This fixed my problem" button but where is it?

You'll only see that option if you were the originator of the thread.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mike.

I'm so glad to hear your e-mails are working again. No problems at all.

I'm sorry that you were advised the mail account would be free of charge. Due to the way mail only accounts work, it's not actually possible to discount the subscription fees.

And, whilst the Residential Generic Services product is a free mail account I'm afraid this isn't something we offer anymore plus with that account due to the way that particular account works, you won't be able to send mail from a mail client.

Could you make sure your payment details are all up to date here please?

With that said, I'll reply to your ticket with an offer of a gesture of goodwill.

Whilst we can offer FTTP (And I'm sorry again if you were advised otherwise), due to the way our system works, we can't provision YouView/BT Sport over YouView if you have FTTP as our system checks for FTTC availability.

However, I believe we could've offered you the BT Sport app as that doesn't need a YouView service.

I'll make sure feedback is passed on appropriately to the advisers that dealt with this.

If in the future you do decide to return to us (And I hope so), we'll be more than happy to provision you on FTTP.

Though at the moment as we're trialing FTTP, we can just provide it to customers with an existing broadband account as our website at www.plus.net only checks for ADSL or FTTC availability.

A way around that would be to sign up as an ADSL customer initially and then sign up to the FTTP trial.

Unfortunately the "this fixed my problem button" is reserved for the original poster of the thread, but feel free to click the thanks button on my post! Every thank helps. Smiley

Please do let me know if you ever need any further assistance in the future.

Cheers,

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mikestone
Hooked

Hi Anoush

No problem at all paying for the service - I have submitted Direct Debit details so hopefully that will suffice.

I would be more than happy to return to Plusnet in the future - rest assured that when my contract with BT ends I will try Plusnet again.

I have clicked the thanks button!

Regards

Mike

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mike.
Thanks for doing that. If the direct debit isn’t fully setup by the time your bill date comes around, I’d recommend paying online by card at www.plus.net/pay (At no extra cost).

I’m glad to hear you’re going to give us another chance. When that time comes, and if I’m still around here (Which I suspect I might be :)), please feel free to let me know and I’ll be happy to keep a wizard’s eye over things.

With that said, I’m happy to help in any way at all regardless so please do feel free to let me know if you have any other issues or queries.

Cheers,
Anoush
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet