cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Folder missing

FIXED
Jonathandfhill

Email Folder missing

Yesterday, I noticed that a 'Saved' folder I had manually added to my Inbox a while ago is no longer there on either my MAC mail account, Outlook account or Webmail. I stored a lot of personal and sentimental emails in there that I need back desperately! I have not deleted them, so I can only presume there is an issue with the Plusnet email servers. I have looked under settings in webmail and there are only the default email folders that are subscribed to-not my 'Saved' folder. Please help, desperately!

15 REPLIES 15
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Email Folder missing

@Jonathandfhill wrote:

I have looked under settings in webmail and there are only the default email folders that are subscribed to-not my 'Saved' folder. Please help, desperately!

So does your "Saved" folder appear in the Folder Administration list - possibly without the SUBSCRIBED to tick box being ticked?  See the folder admin "cog" icon at the bottom of the webmail screen.

Are all the other folders populated.

You infer that you added the Saved Folder on your MAC - is that configured as POP3 or IMAP?  If POP3 then any such folder will be local to the machine and not visible to the server / other IMAP clients such as Webmail.  Check it for local datafiles.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jonathandfhill

The 'saved' folder does not appear in the folder administration list and every box is populated (see screenshot below).

Emails on my various devices (phone, iPad and MAC) are all configured as IMAP.

I have done nothing to delete this folder at all: it has just suddenly disappeared, so it must be a Plusnet issue and I hope they can restore it as soon as possible!

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 08.31.25.png

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Is the folder to be found within either of the deleted folders?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jonathandfhill

Unfortunately not. Nothing at all in any of the folders apart from stuff I've recemtly deleted. Even emails that were in my inbox that I had not deleted have disappeared including tickets to various events that I will need.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

I can get our guys to show the folders on the server side if you want?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Jonathandfhill

Yea please if I can get them back. I did phone the Plusnet helpline on Monday and they said they would get the ‘tech team’ to unarchive the emails. Nothing has happened yet though so if you could do that, I would be very grateful. I just don’t know why they would have been archived. It’s not right! Thanks.
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not sure what has happened myself with the unarchiving but I can see there were archived due to high storage, I have raised a task now for you! I'll get back to you on Tuesday to see if its all better.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Jonathandfhill

Thanks

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

Thanks for your patience. You should have your emails back now @Jonathandfhill !

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Jonathandfhill

Many thanks . Lifesaver 👍🏻 Any way to make sure this doesn’t happen again?
RobDickson
Grafter

PlusNet has a limit of (I think) 1GB for all of your email accounts (it's a total for your whole PlusNet account, not per email account).

You should get an email warning you if you have exceeded that limit, which tells you emails will be archived.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Jonathandfhill wrote:
Many thanks . Lifesaver 👍🏻 Any way to make sure this doesn’t happen again?

Do effective regular house keeping on your emails.  Trash the junk and if you must keep substantial volumes of historic emails, establish your own archiving system ... and remember to keep your own back-sup.

Something which many people do is to use email as a file transfer service (share photographs) rather than use a more appropriate technology.  I know of some people who use email to transfer photos from their phone to their computers.  They might delete the received email after saving the photo to their PC (or cloud storage) but they forget to delete the sent copy as well.  Some do not bother to store the attachments locally, but leave them in their email mailbox.

Jonathandfhill

My email folders are now restored, but I, + my Wife and Daughter, can longer send emails from our accounts using Mac Mail, (although we can receive no problem). Never been a problem before. The settings are the ones recommended on the Plusnet email settings page for IMAP, and I am also now not able to send using Webmail (whereas I was able to before). I get an error message on webmail: SMTP Error (535): Authentication failed. Help please!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Oh dear!!

To be sure that all of the facts are known...

1. Using webmail you can log into all of the mailboxes, read emails but not send emails?  Please describe EXACTLY what happens when you attempt to send an email using https://webmail.plus.net
  2. Are you still a Plusnet broadband subscriber ... or is this a legacy free email account?
  3. If a free email account, have you changed the mailbox password recently?