cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Attachment

dee288
Hooked

Email Attachment

Is there a limit to the size of file I can upload and send as an attachment to an email?  Tried to send an 8741KB  but it said it exceeded limit.  Help!
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Email Attachment

It was probably the receiving email server which rejected it as the Plusnet limit  I think is effectively 85MB before MIME encoding (100MB after)
dee288
Hooked

Thanks for that.  However it wouldn't let me add the attachment (upload limit exceeded it said) so didn't even get to send it so cannot be another server!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

which email client are you using or are you trying to do it via webmail as that apparently has a 7MB limit http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127072.0.html/
colintivy
Rising Star

Yes 7MB limit does apply to photos in an attachment via webmail. Which is all too easy to occur when sending pikkies from a digital camera, especially current examples which are 10MB  or more each frame. It follows that a very long text could hit this buffer. The ability to shrink photos in some Photo programs is handy but I do not know about text.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I would have thought the default "shrink" program is "zip"  Wink  However, it often changes to "enlarge" if the file is already compressed (jpeg etc) Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

The answer here is to use a PC based email client.  There are many to choose from, some are free and others are not.  Windows Live Mail is free and is a fairly good starting point.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dee288
Hooked

Thanks everyone.  Have been using web mail but think  I will have to go back to using an email client.  Had used Live Mail but for some reason I was 'losing' emails!  May try something else.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi.
What do you mean by "loosing" emails?  Where you using multiple clients with POP3?  This can cause a lot of confusion. Using an IMAP configuration is generally more dependable. It works a lot like the webmail client, leaving your emails on the server until you explicitly delete them, unlike POP3 which immediately deletes emails on the server the moment the (or any) client "reads" them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.