cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Attachment Limit

Boz
Grafter

Email Attachment Limit

I'm having problems when using Webmail, sending emails with attachments.  Is there a limit of the number of files I can send?  Or is there a limit on the size of files?
Boz
12 REPLIES 12
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Email Attachment Limit

If you need to transport very large attachment files through email, you are probably better off storing them in something like dropbox.com and then sending the URL link to your intended  addressee via email. Email administrators tend to set limits on large file attachments in order to prevent their email servers' storage from being clogged up with large attachments.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Boz
Grafter

Many thanks for the reply.  The four files I wanted to send only came to 4MB in total, so I must've just gone over the Webmail limit.
Boz
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I wouldn't have expected any problems with sending attachments of that size.
David
Boz
Grafter

It may be just one of those occasions when Webmail doesn't work.    It's very unusual not to have some sort of failure when using this service.  "Failure to send message", "failure to save to drafts", and often failures to open messages.    I'm not sure what causes these problems, but it is very frustrating because they usual work when I logoff and log back in again.
Boz
colintivy
Rising Star

@Boz,
I have been having "Failure to send to send message" error messages for a long time intermittently. But it seems to have got worse (Roundcube prog). Noting the obvious danger of attachments getting too big, I have now had one with a jpg file size of 116KB which I would expect to be very below any arbitary limit in the system. I was not changing my log status either! All very frustrating!!
colintivy
Rising Star

Further to my post above, I sent the offending attachment mentioned above and, surprise, it went!! Then sent it to another recipient Failed this time!! All very touchy it seems.
Boz
Grafter

I can't understand why Plusnet won't solve these "failure" problems; or at least tell us how they arise.
Boz
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Boz
Many thanks for the reply.   The four files I wanted to send only came to 4MB in total, so I must've just gone over the Webmail limit.

The maximum allowed file size is 7MB.
I can't understand why Plusnet won't solve these "failure" problems; or at least tell us how they arise.

Put simply, because we can't replicate them, and don't know what's causing them. If anybody can identify a sure fire way of replicating the issue then we can get something formal raised.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Boz
Grafter

Hi Bob
Thanks for letting me know the email attachment limit.  Just to clarify:  is the limit 7MB per file, or 7MB in total ?
As far as finding out what causes the failure messages, surely these messages are encoded in a piece of software.  All you have to do is look at the coding and find out what conditions apply in order for the messages to appear.
Boz
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Thanks for letting me know the email attachment limit.   Just to clarify:  is the limit 7MB per file, or 7MB in total ?

Total I believe.
As far as finding out what causes the failure messages, surely these messages are encoded in a piece of software.   All you have to do is look at the coding and find out what conditions apply in order for the messages to appear.

If only things were that easy.
We're talking multiple servers, a problem that we're unable to reproduce, and only a handful of customers grumbling about the issue. It takes resource away from other important things to have somebody trawl software/server logs, and it's difficult for me to justify somebody spending their time doing so, when I'm unable to prove to them that a problem exists in the first place.
There's also no guarantee that the logs will provide anything conclusive anyway, there's every chance that the entries (if there are any) are no more verbose than the failure message you see in your browser.
With exact date/timestamps of when this is happening to you and an indication around which mailbox it is you're using, I /might/ be able to persuade somebody to take a look, but I can't guarantee it I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Boz
Grafter

Hi Bob
Thank you for taking the time out to respond to my query and for at last revealing the email attachment limit.
I fully understand that there are more urgent priorities for Plusnet to deal with than the odd complaint about Webmail error messages.    But I have to tell you that these annoyances do detract from what, in my opinion, is the overall very good service that Plusnet provides.

Boz

Petestrix
Hooked

okay, thanks to this thread, I now know why I have massive problems sending consent forms for my daugher's education through the iPad

Today, I've had numerous screenshots to send to a solicitor in support of a fraud case worth £80k, with the roof over an elderly family member's head at stake too, all against a deadline

The drop in allowable file size per email has been beyond a hindrance.

The repeated failure to send on approx 80-90% of mails has been atrocious, and most of those took 3 attempts

I am suggesting that you now have adequate information to go investigate your servers. Virtually every 'sent' item of mine today, in the region of 50 emails, is preceded by seconds by 1-3 'failure to send' notifications

So, in summary, your belittling of this 'inconvenience' has left me fuming. It would have been far quicker for me to catch three trains from Wallasey to Doncaster with a flashdrive in my pocket as I could not simply and efficiently send half a dozen zip files as originally planned

You have one really miffed off customer today