Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Archive failure

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Email Archive failure

Sorry to hear your mail hasn't been restored yet.

I've raised this back to our e-mail team to further investigate. We'll update you as soon as we can.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
louthfamily

Thanks Gandalf. To be clear, some of our email has been restored, but only new emails received since 1 March and older emails that were saved directly in our inbox, not any emails saved in folders.

DawnB13
Hooked

My emails disappeared today without notice to archive - I use Plusnet for work.

Some guy has said that the tool to unarchive is broken and therefore they have no idea how long it is going to take to fix.

Have they heard of customer service?

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@DawnB13 wrote:

My emails disappeared today without notice to archive - I use Plusnet for work.

Hi @DawnB13 I'm really sorry you've had this issue, this thread prompted us to review our auto emails advising that mailboxes are over the limit and it turns out we've had an issue sending them.

That's now fixed so shouldn't happen again but I appreciate that that doesn't help you.

Some guy has said that the tool to unarchive is broken and therefore they have no idea how long it is going to take to fix.

I hate it when some guy gives the wrong information, rest assured I've located their Team Leader and explained that it does work. I've also booted this example up to the platform owner and asked them to restore the emails in your inbox as a priority and I'm told that's now been done.

Have they heard of customer service?

I'm really sorry, this isn't what we are aiming for. If I can help any further just let me know

Edit* FYI you've over 100MB in your deleted mailbox, until you clear it that 100MB counts towards your mailbox limit. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
louthfamily

In case helpful to others, I think I may have identified one potential part of the problem - it may be that our folders had not been archived at all, but rather had been changed in some way such that both our IMAP email client (Thunderbird) and PlusNet webmail thought that we had 'unsubscribed' from them (or never subscribed to them in the first place).

We now have all our email back in Thunderbird, but this required me to untick the "Show only subscribed folders" setting in the Advanced Account Settings dialog (click on the Advanced button in the Server Settings tab in Account Settings).

Webmail still isn't showing these folders and I can't see any way to get it to do so.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

I would suspect that somehow or other the 'subscribed' status did not 'join-up' to the restored folders.  There have also been reports of webmail 'losing' its subscription to folders.  That can be fixed by going to - SETTINGS - Select the FOLDER tab - tick the folders you want webmail to subscribe to.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Grafter

I also received an automated email on 15th March, 03am apparently! I logged in yesterday to find I had 8 emails and no folders. The previous day I had had about 230 emails and all my folders!  The online 'help' told me I had had several warnings - which I have obviously not received in my Inbox.  I was not happy with the 'help' as nothing could be done for 3-5 working days.  That means all emails that I needed to reply to would not be available until after the weekend.  Not good and I am definitely NOT HAPPY. 

Still frustrated, I phoned and spoke to another person and he was a little more re-assuring but, again, told me that I had had several warnings.  I assured him that I had not and asked when they were sent.  He could only see one sent on 8th March - which I definitely had not seen.  He mentioned the Member Centre - which I only visit if something is wrong - like now!  I then look at The Member Centre's open and closed questions and Service emails - most of which have not made it into my Inbox! Funny how the payment ones always manage to find their way to my Inbox!  So WHAT IS GOING ON?! AND CAN I HAVE A GUARANTEE THAT ALL MY EMAILS WILL BE FULLY RESTORED as I have just seen that someone else's emails were not recovered!!!!  As I can clearly see that this is not an isolated issue, I would like to have my archived emails returned immediately, if not sooner.

regards

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @Newbie 

Sorry that you've been having issues and I'd really like to help firstly i'm sorry that you didn't get the email's advising you that you're over your limit. We've had a problem and some were not sent. We've since fixed that so going forward this won't be a problem.

Whilst I understand your frustration (especially as we didn't warn you) ultimately it's your responsibility to stay within your limits and had you done that none of this would have happened. 

So WHAT IS GOING ON?! AND CAN I HAVE A GUARANTEE THAT ALL MY EMAILS WILL BE FULLY RESTORED

I've never yet come across a single one where we've not been able to restore the complete mailbox, but I wont ever say never.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Grafter

Hi,
I did reply to this via my Webmail Inbox, but can't seem to find my reply anywhere now. It was along the lines of advising that my folders were all reinstated the next day and all my emails were now safely stored in a new gmail account.

I also said that I took issue with 'Whilst I understand your frustration (especially as we didn't warn you) ultimately it's your responsibility to stay within your limits and had you done that none of this would have happened. ' If the warnings had found their way into my Inbox, then I would have acted on them straight away, THEN none of this would have happened.

I suggested that perhaps an auto 'Beware' email could be sent when a user is half way to their limit and maybe a digital counter displayed with the other icons at the top of the email page. I'm afraid that GB's etc, do not register in my non-technical brain as it does not tell me how many emails that equates to.
Thank you for speedily returning my emails after my complaint.
regards

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Newbie wrote:

I'm afraid that GB's etc, do not register in my non-technical brain as it does not tell me how many emails that equates to.

More than likely that is because there is no such equation!  Emails are not of a fixed size.  Their size depends on their content, particularly attachments.  One email with a hi-res photo attached could easily take up as much storage space as 50 text emails.

What might help you is the following...

• 1GB (your FUP allowance) = 1,000MB
  • 1MB = 1,000kB
  • Text based email size is 10kB - 60kB
  • Email with a 20 page pdf document attached 230kB
  • Email with a hi-rez photo attached 2MB - 5MB

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

oldboy
Hooked

Hi,

Exactly the same thing happened to me 5 days ago - received an email telling me that my emails had been archived but had no prior warning. I spoke to PN customer service who agreed that their action was totally irresponsible and I then flagged a formal complaint - still not had my emails/folders back or received a response. VERY VERY UNIMPRESSED WITH PLUSNET - I've been with them for 10 years and have fibre broadband, home phone and BT Sport so I'm paying them a few quid every month and getting any action might be easier if their call centre was the other side of the world.

Did you get your stuff back?

@Bladeriderwrote:

I had my entire Email setup archived without prior notice on the 1st March.

I contacted customer services that morning, was informed that I had exceeded fair usage, (I was not forewarned).

I finally received a support ticket on Sunday 3rd saying that it was in process to be resolved, another call to customer services on the 6th as I still haven't had ANY of my email returned.

Another notification this morning (8th) to say it had been done - NOTHING in my folders older than when I first called.

I am trying to organise a scouting event this weekend, I have lost all of my contacts and event details.

I have an overseas trip booked in a few weeks, I have lost all of the flight details, hotel bookings, visa details.

What kind of sub-standard shoddy service is this???

It has had a massive impact on my ability to do important tasks, and I'm seriously stressed out.

Considering the fact that someone pulled the trigger on the archive, without letting me know there was an issue in the first place, I would expect some sort of effort to get it sorted out as soon as possible.

aledroberts
Hooked

I have exactly the same issue that my mailbox and folders have dissappeared since early March. I only have emails from March now. Can someone look at this for all plusnet users? I have important emails regarding my vacation in there.

Grafter

Hi, as I said earlier, ALL my folders returned the next day, but no sign of emails, so I set up a gmail account to transfer and feed all future emails from my PlusNet mail 'service' into it. (A tip from another user who had had success in retrieving emails this way).  It was easy to do once I had the connection settings from the Member Centre and by the evening, all my emails had filtered through.  I have noticed that some still get into the PlusNet Inbox, so I check this regularly.

Good luck with yours.

regards

Grafter

PS.  I know you were trying to be helpful Townman, but as I said I don't have a techy brain and if I have to struggle to do a mathematical equation every time I check my emails, it just isn't going to happen!  Just a halfway 'Beware' notice that actually made it into my Inbox would have been very helpful.  But thank you anyway.

Regards

DawnB13
Hooked

Thank you very much for your prompt response.  

I appreciate I need to get smarter at deleting my deleted emails!