Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Alternative approach

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Email Alternative approach

I've been using my PlusNet email address for years so have a lot invested in it. It’s partly a vanity thing as PlusNet host a domain name for me (They were given out free following a data leak many years ago), and I really like having a bespoke address rather than a gmail/ outlook/Hotmail one.

The problems of the last month, and the desire to have some sort of security around my Email are now driving me away. My predication is that PlusNet are going to stick to the line that Email is not core to their provision of broadband so they are not going to invest more in making it secure or making it reliably. At best they will keep the lights or at worst give notice that “free” Email won’t be offered after a certain date.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something cheap, secure and reliable that offers IMAP with and modest storage (1GB should cover it easily). It looks like around £40-50 a year for hosting and a monthly service charge, which is probably too much to pay for vanity, and I worry about getting the domain name transferred speedily and efficiently.

If that’s the case I’ll start using my old Hotmail.com address again I think .

19 REPLIES 19
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Email Alternative approach

I have my domain hosted by 123reg, and my email on gmail, via my own domain name.
You can get 123 to host your email as well but I went for a free solution as I have about the same level of email as you do.

You can move your domain name from PN to avoid any further issues, or if you have access to the dns records you can set up your own mx records, and move the email to elsewhere. Domain moves usually take an hour, but depends on PN and what they will charge you to move it.
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @the_groundsman,

Firstly I'd like to apologise for the inconvenience that has been caused by the problems to our mail service, I know how frustrating it can be when you're not able to use a service that you rely on.

The problems of the last month, and the desire to have some sort of security around my Email are now driving me away. My predication is that PlusNet are going to stick to the line that Email is not core to their provision of broadband so they are not going to invest more in making it secure or making it reliably. At best they will keep the lights or at worst give notice that “free” Email won’t be offered after a certain date

I can understand why you would look to move your emails away from Plusnet, and that is your decision but I would like to let you know however that we are investing our resources in fixing the problem and improving reliability for our customers.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
the_groundsman
Rising Star

@JonoH - Many thanks for that.

I'd love not to have the hassle of making a change - is there a rough plan you can share when things will probably be stable and reliable, and when some sort of security around the messages will be offered. Its been talked about for years but as time goes on the need for that is become greater and greater.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

JonoH wrote:I can understand why you would look to move your emails away from Plusnet, and that is your decision but I would like to let you know however that we are investing our resources in fixing the problem and improving reliability for our customers.

Sorry @JonoH  but this excuse has run its course and no longer generates any positive feelings - quite the opposite!

I've resolved my personal email problems by moving my mail to a different provider - all that's left arriving at PN is spam or a few old subscription accounts.  Based on the poor reputation that Plusnet currently has I'm investigating migrating both of my BB accounts to another provider BEFORE the now inevitable Plusnet crash.

Much, much more effort / finance needs to be injected into ALL of the acknowledged Plusnet system  weaknesses  (  Email; Billing; Automation; Provisioning.........) to effect a turn around.  Every problem appears to have the same solution Mantra  .....  "We know about it and are working to fix it.  Tomorrow!"

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I use 1&1 for one of mine - the basic email is 1.20 a month if you only want one mailbox, up to 20 is 2.40 a month iirc.

works pretty well, though the spam filtering isn't brilliant.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JonoH
Hero

@JonoH - Many thanks for that.

I'd love not to have the hassle of making a change - is there a rough plan you can share when things will probably be stable and reliable, and when some sort of security around the messages will be offered. Its been talked about for years but as time goes on the need for that is become greater and greater

I don't have that information I'm afraid, and I understand that without it you'll need to make plans to have a reliable email service.  When I'm able to share anything further I'll post it as a Service Status update.

Jono H
neilhobbs
Rising Star

@JonoH wrote:

I don't have that information I'm afraid, and I understand that without it you'll need to make plans to have a reliable email service.  When I'm able to share anything further I'll post it as a Service Status update.

@JonoH So you're now happy to have paying customers leave?  Its your stock reply again...  that isn't cutting it again

JonoH
Hero

@neilhobbs I am never happy when the service that we provide falls short of the standards that our customers expect. I do however understand that for many people email is a service that is important to them and I understand that if Plusnet and it's representatives are unable to provide information around when the service will be fully restored that some customers will need to look at alternative providers.

neilhobbs wrote:

Its your stock reply again...  that isn't cutting it again

I'm sorry but as I've stated across all communication methods that you have raised this point in, When we have further information it will be posted in the service section.

Jono H
the_groundsman
Rising Star

@HairyMcbiker - Thanks for that. could you elaborate on your gmail solution please?

As far as I can see i need to verify my domain but then still need pay google $5 pm for google apps suite. Might be easier to buy the email package though I do need more than one address for each family member. I guess I wownt get the catch all for the domain that PlusNet offer either

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@JonoH wrote:

@neilhobbs I am never happy when the service that we provide falls short of the standards that our customers expect. I do however understand that for many people email is a service that is important to them and I understand that if Plusnet and it's representatives are unable to provide information around when the service will be fully restored that some customers will need to look at alternative providers. 

I'm sorry but as I've stated across all communication methods that you have raised this point in, When we have further information it will be posted in the service section.

@JonoH  You need to start answering your users with useful information

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@JonoH wrote:

@neilhobbs I am never happy when the service that we provide falls short of the standards that our customers expect...

@JonoH If you aren't happy with this situation, then do something about it...  provide some small piece of customer service...  There's your stock reply again - you really don't sound sincere...  we simply don't believe you...

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

@the_groundsman I don't pay google anything. But I may have a legacy account ?? Had a gmail hosted domain address for many years, since I closed my own server down.
I just went through the add domain bit at https://support.google.com/a/answer/53295?hl=en
Looks like I have the legacy version:
"Google Apps Free edition (legacy)

Prior to December 6, 2012, Google offered a free edition of Google Apps—also known as the Standard edition—that had a reduced set of business features. As of December 6, 2012, Google stopped offering the Free edition to new customers.

If you already had the Free edition, you can continue using it for free. Or, to receive the full set of business features, you can upgrade your account. See below for your options."

So yes $5 a month for 30Gb of storage and email to a domain, if you start now. Still well under your £40/mo.

The only problem I have ever had was a limit on the email aliases on the free account. I tend to use several different aliases to counteract spam and had to remove some when I wanted to add new ones, not a killer but I wasn't aware of the limit before.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have free gmail and hotmail accounts which I use occasionally for signups where I don't want to offer too much extra personal information.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@dvorak wrote:
I use 1&1 for one of mine - the basic email is 1.20 a month if you only want one mailbox, up to 20 is 2.40 a month iirc.

I must have an older package than yours. Mines is 69p per month (plus VAT) for 5 mailboxes Cool