cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Accounts terminated after requesting an email only account - poor response from call centre *3

malky3200
Dabbler

Email Accounts terminated after requesting an email only account - poor response from call centre *3

Hi,

After almost 18 years with PN on the 20th of June I started the process of moving to another provider.
Previously I spotted PN offered an email only account for just over £1 a month.
Called in on the 20th of June 19 and was told email only accounts can be done and the charge is £0.00

11 days after switching still NO email.  All being bounced.  Mailboxes do not exist.  No restore has happened.
Why oh why ?? Any ideas ?

On the 21st June 19 the agent kindly put my request in writing and sent it to all concerned, noting my leaving date was the 4th of July 19.
On the 4th of July 19 I called in and requested my email accounts be retained and should they be deleted then to be restored.  This all went well.  Then on the 5th I was informed by on BT, Tiscalli etc that all emails were being bounced as the mailbox was not found.  I called in on the 5th of July 19 to be told effectively I should wait 72 hours.   Since it was a Friday I asked the obvious question "is the 72 hours inclusive of weekends?" .  I did not get an answer to this.  Customer service is not what it used to be IMHO.  Anyhow regardless as I had raised this on the 4th the 72 hours would start at that point. So I was told.

Tuesday the 9th of July - 5th day of NO email....
Called in.  Was told the 4th and the 5th agents "had done the wrong thing".  Ironically I was given the same message about sending the request to the "department responsible".  Third time I've heard that, it occurred to me.
Was of course told it would now be 72 hours.

Today is the 15th easily 72 hours since the 9th.  Still No email.
Checked the system to find that it's on hold for another 24 hours as a PN employee could not reach the agent.  The agent that is NOT going to be restoring the email.

An idea : can someone responsible for fixing this be identified and carry out the restore.  I know simple - however I gave a heads up on the 21st of June 19 and also on the 4th of July 19.  Oh and of course on the 5th and 9th of July.

Today the ticket was updated with

I have checked your account and I cannot see where you requested to keep the mailboxes active either before or during the cancellation call with us.

You have to state that you want the mailboxes to remain active at the time of the cancellation for this to happen - it cannot be done after this time unless you have stated on that call that you wanted these to remain open.

Our email team will only be able to rectify these if it is clearly documented on the account but I have not been able to see a request apart from after the account was already closed.

My thoughts - not good enough, the other agents found the request dated the 21st June 19.
I dug out the evidence this did happen on the 21st of June 19.   On the ticket opened on the 9th of July.  A cursory glance at the 4 tickets now open on my account shows me also requesting this on the day I switched.

What's up PN ?  How hard can this be ?
I noticed on this forum at least one other with the same problem.  
Encouragingly a fix is also posted and within a day it seems.  Can we have this replicated for myself.  Short of finding some vellum and posting in a public place or directly to the CEO I'm not sure what I could have done to communicate this simple request more effectively to PN.

Anyone else got further ideas how I can encourage PN to do mailbox restores ?

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Email Accounts terminated after requesting an email only account - poor response from call ce...

Hi there.

I'm really sorry to see how your request to downgrade to an email account has been handled. I can see one of my colleagues in our support team has been keeping a close eye on this for you, but I'm afraid on this occasion it looks like there has been a bit of a knowledge gap which I've given them a heads up about.

I can see we automatically downgraded your account to a free one upon the cancellation completing.

Unfortunately as part of the process the mailboxes were destroyed which we can get back by recreating them. Can you log into your account then go to http://www.plus.net/email to recreate your mailboxes?

Once you've carried this out if you've lost any mail, the task my colleague had raised will get these restored.

Let me know how this goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
malky3200
Dabbler

Re: Email Accounts terminated after requesting an email only account - poor response from call ce...

Anous,

Cheers.  I have recreated the critical mailboxes.

I was just saying to a friend of mine yesterday - "I bet I could go and create the mail accounts, but they'd likely still be empty anyhow"
We concluded that PN would of course not be so poor as to omit this suggestion this.  Besides I had the idea it's for me to present the problem and for PN for present the solution.
Glad to see you provided a heads up.  My concern is at least 4 people have been involved in this since the mailboxes were deleted on the 4th of July.

Thanks again.  I appreciate it.
I'll logon to the system and detail the 4 mailboxes that need restoring.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @malky3200,

Thank you for adding the requested details to the ticket. I've raised this over to our network operations team now and have asked them to restore your emails as soon as possible. You won't lose any of the emails that you may receive in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@malky3200 wrote:

My concern is at least 4 people have been involved in this since the mailboxes were deleted on the 4th of July

The reoccurrence of this issue has been raised by the SUs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.