Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email 552 error

FIXED
Tensulp1
Hooked

Email 552 error

I have all spam filters turned off and have antivirus checks on my email but despite this I am seeing the following message when sending some email (not all)

This message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit. You can use the option, located in Tools | Accounts | Properties | Advanced, to break messages into smaller parts.

Server Error: 552
Server Response: 552 WDlB1v0044nz9gc01DlCFX message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.
Server: 'relay.plus.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC6D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

I spent quite a while chatting with support about this issue and they eventually said that they had a similar issue a while back. They said they could not fix it for me themselves and that support would look into it and contact me. Support have not got back to me (its been several days) and I don't have an open ticket that I can contact them through to continue the conversation so contacting them again will just result in the same situation.

I am trying to email another person with a plusnet email address who also has all spam filters turned off but some emails just wont go. The person who I am emailing is having the exact same issue when trying to email me so this is not isolated to my account.

The message has no attachments and is very small in size, it contains no information that would be likely to trigger a spam or virus filter.

The problem seems worse when trying to reply or forward a message rather than creating a new email.

It has been happening for a couple of weeks now.

Anyone got any ideas or experience of the same issue.

Tags (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Email 552 error

Do the emails have attachments and if so, what size are they?

This message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Tensulp1
Hooked

As I stated in my first post "The message has no attachments"

Chris
Legend

Apologies, I missed that.

If the mail doesn't have anything too personal in it, would you be able to send me a copy of the email via private message so I can pass this on internally to see what's happening.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Tensulp1
Hooked

I have PM'd you, let me know if you need any more data.

petelane1951
Grafter

@Tensulp1  Try checking your outbox folder and see if there are messages stuck there. If there are some, try deleting them starting with the oldest one first. You may have a corrupted message stuck in the queue which is preventing other messages being sent. 

Chris
Legend

Can you try sending the email to the original recipient again? Should work now.

Tensulp1
Hooked

Whatever you did seems to have fixed it.

Will it have fixed it for the other PlusNet address that has the same issue (the person I am emailing).

Also .... what was the issue and how did you fix it?

Chris
Legend

Fix

The issue was the URL contained in the email, it was being flagged as suspicious. Now that's resolved it should work for any Plusnet address.

Tensulp1
Hooked

Can you PM me the URL in question please.

Chris
Legend

Done.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): I have changed the fix to @Chris as per message #9.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

derkleinestier

Hi Chris

It seems you are the man for bounced email issues...

Sending these mails from an automated script via relay.plus.net worked fine for the last 2 years, now they bounce (since 21 Oct):

552 [some ID] message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

The emails contain text such as:

Hello,

An alarm has been detected on your installation of the ZoneMinder.

The details are as follows :-

Monitor  :
  Event Id :
  Length   :
  Frames   :
  Scores   :

This alarm was matched by the EmailDetails filter and can be viewed at https://[URL]/zm/?view=event&mode=stream&mid=1&eid=[ID]

ZoneMinder

They also used to contain attachments but now even without attachments this type of mail bounces.

Grateful for any hints (would it help to eliminate the URL in the message?)

Jan

Chris
Legend

I can certainly take a look, can you send me a private message with the full error, including any URLs in the email.

Please send me a private message