cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMail when not connected to Plusnet

Ian_S

EMail when not connected to Plusnet

I am abroad on holiday, and unable to send emails through my Plusnet account. Receiving is OK, but trying to send gives a "Could not send, please verify password, username or security type" error.

This has always worked before, so something seems to have changed. I am using IMAP, relay.force9.net for the outgoing server, Port 587, and SMTP authorisation. Username and password are correct To repeat, this has always worked OK in the past, so I'm confused

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: EMail when not connected to Plusnet

You may get problems sometimes on public and mobile networks if the IP you've obtained has been marked as spammy from a previous user. I've seen occasional similar problems when on holiday in Prortugal using mobile networks. It usually goes away if you disconnect and manage to get a different ip.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

One of my referrals is reporting similar issues right noew.  He is in the Seychelles.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

It's a bit of a pain that Cloudmark checks the sender IP reputation and rejects before  checking the authentication credentials. I suspect its further confused by the fact that most email clients cant distinguish the error and just report authentication failure.