cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMail problems with VPN

RagusJohn
Hooked

EMail problems with VPN

I have searched through the posts on this subject but cannot find a solution that works.  I have also tried PlusNet's online chat which was not very helpful.  I have just subscribed to PureVPN and all works fine except emails sent from my PlusNet account. I know that PureVPN blocks Port 25 so I have tried Ports 587 and Port 465.  The problem is getting my password verfified - I just get a continuous error pop-up saying either password incorrect (which it isn't as I have double checked it by logging into webmail) or SMTP server timed out.  EMails sent from another acocunt zoho.com on Port 587 works OK.  Has anyone out these succeeding in getting Pure VPN to work?Huh

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: EMail problems with VPN

Port 587 is the correct port. You will need to ensure that SSL/TLS is not selected as the username/password must be unencrypted. It might help if you can tell us which email client you are using and then we can advise on the actual settings

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RagusJohn
Hooked

Hi - thanks for responding so promptly - I am using Thunderbird and my SMTP server settings are:

relay.plus.net

Port: 587

Username:*******

Authentication method: Password, transmitted insecurely

Connection security: none

This works and has always worked with PlusNet before using the VPN. 

RagusJohn
Hooked

Sorry - forgot to add that these settings result in pop-up saying Login to server relay.plus.net failed and and request to Enter New Password.  When I re-enter the correct password it just repeatedly requests password.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Does Thunderbird give any more details regarding the error when trying to authenticate?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PureVPNSupport

Hi there,

Please click on the below-mentioned URL to get in touch with PureVPN’s live chat support representatives for immediate assistance:

https://secure.livechatinc.com/licence/4454601/open_chat.cgi

You can email us at help@purevpn.com

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

RagusJohn
Hooked

Sadly not - it just asks me to input the password and repeatedly rejects it, and re-asks.  It obviously has problems authenticating the password.  This does not happen with other email accounts that I have set up on Port 587, but these require either SSL/TLS or STARTTLS.  I am no expert but the problem appears to me to be how PlusNet authenticates passwords rather than the PureVPN connection.  I am just about to board to flight to Indonesia so will try again from there.

THanks

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RagusJohn

his does not happen with other email accounts that I have set up on Port 587, but these require either SSL/TLS or STARTTLS.  I am no expert but the problem appears to me to be how PlusNet authenticates passwords rather than the PureVPN connection.

I use authenticated smtp with port 587 all the time on my Plusnet mailboxes both at home, via VPN to the office and when abroad on other networks. I use both Thunderbird on my desktop and netbook using Linux and K-9 mail on my Android tablet and phones, both with no problems.The only problem I've seen is that occasionally (and I mean very occasionally!) connection may be refused due to 'sender reputation'. This is caused when you've been allocated a public IP that has previously been marked by the Cloudmark anti spam system as being 'suspect'. I wouldn't have thought that the IP's being supplied by Pure VPN would be marked as such, and, if so, reconnecting to the VPN would likely give a different IP. In any case if this happens, Thunderbird should report it , hence my previous question...

RagusJohn
Hooked

Many thanks to all those who replied.  I am not sure I ran down the problem while on my recent overseas trip.  Strangely I did not have the problem when using the VPN connection on my phone with K-9 email client. Then half way through the trip the problem disappeared and I was able to use PlusNet, PureVPN and Thunderbird with port 587.  I've just tried the same now back in the UK and it is still OK. I'll keep an eye on it.