cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE blocking smtp?

StayinAlive
Dabbler

EE blocking smtp?

My broadband supplier is EE (4G) and I have a paid plus net account to retain emails. However, after several years of sending/receiving plus net mails whilst connected to EE, since yesterday I have been unable to send any plus net mails. Incoming still works fine. Before I contact EE, is anyone having a similar problem or can anyone suggest a fix?

31 REPLIES 31
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: EE blocking smtp?

Are you by any chance using an Apple device for sending which has just had an iOS update? Some users (on Plusnet BB) found it necessary to reset their SMTP passwords after this event.

Additionally if you are not using port 587 for sending you could try that. 

David
StayinAlive
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply, David

I have used both ports 25 and 587 and I am using Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows platform. Everything was fine until yesterday and I had not changed anything previous to that.

Thing is, I could, perhaps, see why EE might want to stop sending "other people's" mails but, if they have, they might have had the decency to let us know. That is why I wanted to know if anyone else had the problem as I wonder if there may be another (technical) reason.

StayinAlive

spraxyt
Resting Legend

I’ve just confirmed sending still works with 4G. This uses the EE network, though I have a Plusnet SIM.

I also have a full Plusnet BB service, and I’m using an iPad with Apple mail, but closest check I can do. Smiley

I could understand EE choosing to block access to remote SMTP servers on port 25, but port 587 should be permitted. Obviously you have sender authentication set up - is it possible a password change has been missed?

David
StayinAlive
Dabbler

Interestingly, I've just successfully used tiscali's smtp server which also uses port 587. So it's looking more like a Plus Net issue. I should have mentioned that I'm one of the original Free-Online account holders though that shouldn't make a difference.

StayinAlive

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Do you have telnet enabled on your Windows computer? By default it isn't enabled in Windows 10 but is easy to add.

Opening a Command Prompt window and entering

telnet relay.free-online.net 587

followed by the screen clearing and a response from an avasout server would show the relay server is reachable and can respond. Type quit to exit. You could also try this with (port) 25 replacing 587.

David
StayinAlive
Dabbler

Thanks for suggestion. I will get back to you.

StayinAlive

spraxyt
Resting Legend

If it will help, to enable telnet on Windows 10, start typing "turn windows features on or off" in the search box and select this when it shows as Best match. Then follow the instructions in the image

W10Features.png

David
StayinAlive
Dabbler

OK, so

telnet smtp.tiscali.co.uk 587 gives the response server ready

telnet relay.free-online.net 587 gives "could not open connection to the host, on port 587: Connect failed"

telnet relay.free-online.net 25 gives same response

StayinAlive

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@StayinAlive Sounds like it might be a DNS or a routing problem.

What does an NSLOOKUP return for relay.free-online.net ?

If that works then try a TRACEROUTE to it

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

StayinAlive
Dabbler

NSLOOKUP results

relay.free-online.net
Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-autoritative answer:
Name: relay.free-online.net
Addresses: 212.159.9.105

Don't know how to interpret TRACEROUTE results but the last dozen or so lines say request timed out

StayinAlive

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, so it's not a DNS issue.

I'm just going to try connecting to relay.free-online.net via my PlusNet mobile account...

Don'y worry about the 'request timed out', some nodes won't reply to the ping.

Does the traceroute actually complete ?

I've tried it using my mobile as a hotspot and I can telnet to relay.free-online.net ok.

A traceroute from either my PlusNet broadband or thvia the mobile hotspot also complete ( with some timeouts on the way )

Very strange that it won't connect from your EE connection , I wouldn't have thought there'd be much difference between a native EE and a PN Mobile(hosted on EE) connection...  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

StayinAlive
Dabbler

Yes, the traceroute did complete, eventually.

Interestingly. trying https://www.plus.net/ in my browser just now returns "Secure Connection Failed" but clearly this site is working.

At the moment, I don't know if that's a coincidence or an indication of something.

StayinAlive

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Interestingly. trying https://www.plus.net/ in my browser just now returns "Secure Connection Failed" but clearly this site is working.

That sounds more like a browser issue.

If the traceroute completed then it would appear that it's not a routing issue. Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting your 4g connection to see if you get a different IP. Maybe the one you have has had a bad reputation in the past, but I would have expected the initial telnet connection to the smtp to be allowed and then an error when you tried to send any mail.

As an aside does a telnet to relay.plus.net on port 587 work ?

StayinAlive
Dabbler

4G disconnected/reconnected - no difference.

Re telnet responses - see above (failed)

StayinAlive