Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mails using Outlook App on mobile phone

FIXED
eagger
Fixes: 1

E-mails using Outlook App on mobile phone

I've downloaded the latest Microsoft "Outlook" App onto my Motorola G7 phone, as I already have paid for and use Microsoft Office 365 / Outlook on my PC for e-mails.

However, when I try to set up the app on my phone, it doesn't work.

I was able to add a @btinternet email easily, just entered the e-mail address and the rest was automatic, no problems.

But when I try to add my Plusnet account, ****@^^^^^^.plus.com, I am forced to set it up manually.

So I choose IMAP, I then get a screen which requires my Display Name (I use my own name), Description (I use Home), IMAP Host name (imap.plus.net), Port (993), IMAP username (I use ^^^^^^+****), IMAP Password (my mailbox password),

SMTP Host Name (relay.plus.net), Port (587), SMTP Username (again, ^^^^^^+****), SMTP Password (my mailbox password).

The settings come from the Plusnet website.

All I get is - Log-in error, The connection to your email server timed out. Please check your email settings.

Can anyone help please, I can't be the only Plusnet customer using Outlook? Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: E-mails using Outlook App on mobile phone

That largely looks good, however on the IMAP server you have chosen the encrypted port but you do not report the chosen encryption method. It should be SSL/TLS.

You might find it easier to set this up without encryption first (port 143) and once working edit the settings to use encryption.

OL’s automatic set up tooling can make a hash of things. On Win10 I’ve seen situations where no matter what I did I could not set up the email account within OL. In the end I “sorted” the problem by using the “old fashioned” email configuration tool in control panel ... but I have no idea if similar is available on the phone platform.

There are a legion of issues with OL on android reported on the internet - try a Google search. Google and Microsoft are competitors so I do not expect them to play nicely together.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eagger
Fixes: 1

Fix

All sorted now - outgoing port changed to 465 as per the attached.

Thank you

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That is odd.

Despite what that document states, 465 is deprecated and ought not to be used. Outlook does support STARTTLS.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.