cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mails not being delivered over past week and today...

aracari

E-mails not being delivered over past week and today...

Over the past week or so I've sent a number of e-mails to my brother who is also a Plusnet
customer which have not been delivered. Most recently was last night (1 e-mail) and this
afternoon (3 e-mails). An e-mail I sent to him this morning was delivered OK.
Where are the rest?
There may be other e-mails I've sent to other people elsewhere which have not been delivered.
Some urgent resolution is required methinks.
11 REPLIES 11
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: E-mails not being delivered over past week and today...

I suggest giving the CSC a ring since with the holidays the Digital Care Team who are active on these forums are away until Tuesday.
David
aracari

Thanks. I don't find that very impressive. Looking down the threads on this forum
it appears that e-mail delivery problems has been a regular topic for several months.
I'm not sure why they haven't sorted it out yet. Can't be beyond the wit of Plusnet!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The one thing you don't find on an email forum is lots of threads concerning successful delivery of messages. There will only be the reverse of this and a view based on that is likely to be biased.
In a couple of instances of recent complaints the logs have been checked and showed the messages had left Plusnet which implies they had been accepted by the delivery server, but it appears they vanished afterwards - which is down to behaviour of the receiving mail server. Your post is the first one I'm aware of where Plusnet to Plusnet communication is involved. If you can provide details of the addressee and times of transmission (in a ticket) these would give Plusnet staff something to work on.
If this behaviour is reasonably repeatable sending a copy to yourself would also provide useful tracing information - for one thing do you receive the copy? Do the messages appear in your brother's spam folder?
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I was one of the recent ones Spraxt refers to, the CSC were not really much help, but Bob P when given the header did trace the route and they seemed to disappear when they reached a Yahoo server, although that wasnt the final destination. I had sent the headers via a ticket, but that seemed to strip out some of the header info, I ended up doing a screen grab and sending that as a JPG
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Still, even if for some reason Yahoo is eating PN email, PN needs to get Yahoo to stop doing that.
I agree a forum about email is going to predominately be about email failures, since no one posts "I sent an email today and it was replied to" every time that happens.
BUT, as someone who doesn't use PN email at all, but does use these forum, I will say, it seems to me that the last few weeks has seen a significant increase in the number of people saying that email is not getting to its destination.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

In my case one of the Recipients was my Step son on BTInternet, I sent one  and didnt get any comment until he phoned, then while he was on the phone did a test short message which didnt get there did two more repeats, the second got there immediate, the third took over a day they were the ones that Bob looked at
So who do you chase?, all go though Yahoo, three identical , and one different
aracari

Quote from: spraxyt
The one thing you don't find on an email forum is lots of threads concerning successful delivery of messages. There will only be the reverse of this and a view based on that is likely to be biased.

Sorry, I don't really buy that. The threads I've read refer to some e-mail delivery problems. If only 1 in 10 e-mails fail to get delivered, that's enough to raise concerns among users. In my case I'm currently involved with some e-mail exchanges with lawyers in the UK and in Portugal and I MUST have confidence that PN mail servers are not losing or blocking them. It is important for PN to find the cause and deal with it.
(BTW: I have every confidence they will. I'm a long standing happy customer who wouldn't be here if I didn't like their standard of customer support/service.)
Whatever, I read an earlier thread about posting e-mail Headers but I'm not sure it provides enough detail for PN to backtrack and check what happened to them.
*I'll raise a ticket if you (or PN if they're reading this) can be specific about what Headers to include.* eg: is the MID and date enough for PN to investigate?
Thanks.
ps: another thread claims that sending a CC: to myself is not definitive in knowing whether an e-mail gets delivered to the recipient or not.
ps1: yes, it is odd that in my case the failed e-mails I know about are to another PN customer.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
So who do you chase?, all go though Yahoo, three identical , and one different
PN chase Yahoo.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
@pierre_pierre, I've no reason to believe that there's anything untoward with our outbound mail platform. If you can raise a ticket containing the following information then I can probably have somebody scour the logs here to determine whether or not the email actually left our platform? Presumably all spam folders etc. were checked at the recipient's end?

• Email address you're sending from
  • Email address you're sending to
  • Time that you sent the email
  • Confirmation that you were using relay.plus.net to send the message
aracari

Thanks for that info pierre_pierre.
I've now raised a ticket with several specific examples of non-delivered e-mails
to my brother on Plusnet. Let's see what happens.....
jim:quote
aracari

Since I started this thread, I'd just like to say that I raised a ticket.
The PN folks then investigated at least one example of an outgoing e-mail
of mine which was never delivered and discovered that it had been deleted
by their spam filters.
Since I am not infected by a spam-bot and never ever send any spam (I have
no commercial interests whatsoever and I'm just a private PN customer),
they are now going to investigate this problem when their network guys get
back after the bank holiday.
I have informed them that they MUST resolve it because I cannot possibly
stay withan ISP that wrongly deletes my outgong e-mails by using wrongly
configured or overly aggressive spam filters etc.