Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E mails gone

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

E mails gone

All my in O.E e mails from Feb 2010 until Yesterday have gone overnight, any ideas as to  how I can find them  ?? Thank you
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: E mails gone

did you leave them on the server or download them to your machine?
if on your machine, there is a file on the windows section with the mail in a text readable form,you would have to look at the OE preferences to see where it is and its name..
If you left it on the server and it was large number, !"£$"%^£!"
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: pierre_pierre
did you leave them on the server or download them to your machine?

One easy way to find out would be to use Webmail and see if they're there?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RobDickson
Grafter

Have you just started using another device and that's downloaded all of the emails and deleted them from the server?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what did you do here?
Quote from: stathe
AS it is O.K now no point in going any further
stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

They are not in the webmail, and I presume they were on my machine as I have been able to read them, I think it may be something to do with compacting them, anyhow they are gone  Thank you
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

stathe
Which e-mail client are you using?
there are plenty of guides on the website you could point you to which could resolve your problems.
You have to set up your e-mail client to download your e-mails and leave a copy on PNs server if you would prefer.
I suspect your webclient has been set up to delete the e-mails on the PN server when you download them and then delete them when read. Or you are looking in the unread e-mail folder  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pierre_pierre
Grafter

did you read the other five post?
he is using outlook express
he has had a problem with sending (on another thread, linked to by me, that he "Cured" on the 14th)
he doesnt know if he was downloading them or leaving on the server
he said that he has just compacted the mail.
from that I would assume that he is on Win XP, and I know that there is a .dat file that even has the deleted items on it, but if he has compacted that .dat file then the deleted will have gone.
He must have done something else as doing an OE compact doesnt delete
CX
Grafter

If you can run an undelete program on your hard disk, you may be able to recover the older uncompacted .dbx mailbox file(s). I did this on a relative's XP system when Outlook Express decided to corrupt the mailbox upon compaction.
A good free option for doing this is Recuva:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Unfortunately, the more you have written to the disk in the meantime, the lower the chances of recovery.
I haven't used OE for a long time, but a quick Google search suggests that after compaction/archiving, you might get .bak files in the Recycle Bin. Have a look in the recycle bin on your desktop for any .bak or .dbx files. Your messages may be in there.