cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E mail.

ralli
Hooked

E mail.

E mails are being downloaded to my computer on successive days up to 5 times. How can this be stopped ?

17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: E mail.

Hi there, 

I'm guessing your using an email client such as Outlook?

You can change settings easily to stop it from downloading from the server automatically.

I'd take a look through the info here: https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Gel, it's best to report posts in the wrong place as the mods will pick them up and put them where they need to be. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Email.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@ralli wrote:

E mails are being downloaded to my computer on successive days up to 5 times. How can this be stopped ?

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  May I clarify your description here...

What email client are you using?

How is it configured IMAP or POP3?

In what manner are emails being downloaded up to 5 times?

• Have you sought to delete them and they reappear?
  • Were you on line or off line when you deleted them?
  • Are you seeing N copies of the same email?

@adamwalker - I believe that there have been some reports of issues matching the above scenarios in recent times,  IIRC the email accounts needed resetting - something to do with IMAP indexes?  Does that ring any bells?  Might it apply here?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Townman,

I'm not aware of anything personally but I'll check in with Bob P as soon as he's available about that. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ralli
Hooked

Sorry for delay in replying. I am using Windows Live Mail connecting to Plusnet via POP. Problem continues.

ralli
Hooked

Sorry for delay in replying. I use Windows Live Mail via POP3. Repeats occur whether I have deleted them or not.  This can happen for up to 3 days. Usually it is 1 or 2 repeats but it can be up to 5.  I rarely am off line so all this happens on line

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

So, you are using POP3 and I’m guessing you have got leave messages on server set?

The messages which down load several times ... have you moved them to a local folder ... and then they reappear in the inbox?

Or are you seeing N copies in the inbox?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ralli
Hooked

Thank you Townman. I have not moved them to a local folder. There are multiple copies in the Inbox.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I’ve seen this before but cannot recall what the cause was. Essentially it’s a loss of sync between client and server over what has / has not been downloaded.

IIRC getting the mailbox indexes on the server rebuilt might help. To do that you’ll need to log into webmail (for each mailbox) and compact the folders - again IIRC that can be found by right clicking each of the folder names on the left hand side.

Edit: this might help as well https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-outlook/multiple-copies-of-emails-in-ou...

ralli
Hooked

Townman.

I did not reply to you fully, I have got "leave messages on server" set

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is somewhat implied by them still being there to download again and again. To be honest there are no end of issues using POP3 especially if multiple clients (devices) are involved.

IMAP is simpler / more predictable and if you want to back up email locally, there is nothing stopping you from copying emails to a local folder ... in fact using outlook you could automate that using an inbox message rule.

ralli
Hooked

Reply to Townman. Before trying the possible remedy you suggest I am wondering whether it would help if I connected to the mailboxes through IMAP rather than POP3.