Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E mail will not send when away from home router

FIXED
brookorchard
Hooked

E mail will not send when away from home router

Long standing problem that I phone 7 will not send e mails when away. All normal settings checked and historic posts looked at. The message is that recipients e mail address rejected by server. Any further ideas please?

12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: E mail will not send when away from home router

Do you have 'Use Authentication' set for the outgoing server ( relay.plus.net ) ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brookorchard
Hooked

Thanks for your very fast reply.

When we go to authentication it offers 4 options, MD5, Challenge-Response, MD5 Digest, HTTP MD5 Digest, NTLM or Password. Which should we use as when we 'tick' password it doesn't seem to be saved as the option? Thanks.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That doesnt sound right. I'm not familiar with Apple Mail ( I assume that's what you are using on the iPhone ) but there's a guide here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201320

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brookorchard
Hooked

Hi and thanks again. It is an Apple mail account host but a plus net mail account. The Apple  guide doesnt' really help unfortunately hence coming back to the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It is an Apple mail account host but a plus net mail account

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying there.

If you are uising Apple mail to access your plsunet mail account, then using the guide, you add a new mail account but use the details for your plusnet account. The Plusnet settings are here https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/ in the  'What other settings do I need' section

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Fix

With iPhone setup. you can / need to specify the username and password on the SMTP server settings.  I am somewhat surprised that you were able to configure the email account without them.

20220331_084836365_iOS.png

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @brookorchard, thanks a lot for getting in touch. I know it sounds like a simple question but, have you enabled mobile data for Apple Mail? 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@adam945 

Good call!!

brookorchard
Hooked

Yes, mobile data has always been on. I'm not quite that bd a technophobe. In any event, problem now resolved.

brookorchard
Hooked

Thanks but the account has been set up for years with the Plusnet settings. The issue has now been resolved.

brookorchard
Hooked

Thanks. The account has worked perfectly (other than with the problem I have identified) without the username and password but having now added these the problem has been resolved so many thanks.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

When you connect to the outbound server from "off" the Plusnet network - as in 3/4/5G mobile network - you MUST use the username and password on the SMTP server.  When on the network - as in connected over wifi to your home router - you do not need then credentials.

For the very issues you have encountered, it is wiser (certainly simpler) to always specify them.