Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Mail Limits

FIXED
daddybear
Grafter

E-Mail Limits

Good Morning All

I am planning to set up a non-commercial operation (UK based) and will want to send 'batch' e-mails with the same wording to multiple recipients at the same time using my .plus.com account.

Are there any restrictions on doing this regarding numbers and/or time limits ?

Regards

Roy

10 REPLIES 10
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: E-Mail Limits

Hi @daddybear,

From a Plusnet IP the hourly recipient limit is 1000 and the per email limit is 200. 

daddybear
Grafter

Hello JOLO

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

So sorry, but I don't quite understand the actual terminology - I am a dummie when it comes to computer details so could you please expand a little bit.

"the hourly recipient limit" - does this represent the amount of e-mails I can send out to people (ie: the recipients) or is it what my own account can receive?

"per e-mail limit is 200" - is this the number of e-mail addresses which can be included in a distribution list sent at one go?

If I exceed these limits does the program warn me or does it just block the sending/receiving?

As you can see I am not very good at this sort of thing - hope you can help me further.

Regards

Roy

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi Roy.

Sorry for the confusion.

Looks like our source for this info was from a post Here, I've just got some clarification from our products team

"the hourly recipient limit" - does this represent the amount of e-mails I can send out to people (ie: the recipients) or is it what my own account can receive?

This means that you can only send to up to 1000 different email addresses within 60 minutes.

"per e-mail limit is 200" - is this the number of e-mail addresses which can be included in a distribution list sent at one go?

Yup that's right.

This doesn't take into account what the receiving mail server might do though, for example it might not like hundreds of emails being sent to one of their users and it may start rejecting emails.

Hope this helps but let us know if you have any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
daddybear
Grafter

Thanks Gandalf - got that clear in my mind now.

What I am planning should not come anywhere near those figures.

Appreciate your interest and help.

Regards

Roy

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cool. No problem. If you need to send more than those figures it's probably worth looking at a proper mailing list solution through a third party provider. Let us know if you need any further advice Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

hundreds of emails being sent to one of their users

I doubt that this works at the level of ONE of their users - one (or many) email(s) to LOTS of their users are likely to trigger alarm bells.

Note that the SMTP relay server generally sends ONE copy of an email addressed to ALL recipients at the same domain.  So for example, if an email is sent to 200 addressees, that being to 50 users each on Gmail.com / Yahoo.com / Outlook.com / BTinternet.com - only 4 copies of the email are sent out from Plusnet - one to each of the above domains.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CyberPagan
Hooked

@Townman wrote:

hundreds of emails being sent to one of their users

I doubt that this works at the level of ONE of their users - one (or many) email(s) to LOTS of their users are likely to trigger alarm bells.

Many email providers will likely have some form of inbound limit on a per user basis. I know GMail does, after I had a minor issue with a script that generated several hundred emails in a matter of minutes. I'd not be surprised if there's similar in place elsewhere.

Note that the SMTP relay server generally sends ONE copy of an email addressed to ALL recipients at the same domain.  So for example, if an email is sent to 200 addressees, that being to 50 users each on Gmail.com / Yahoo.com / Outlook.com / BTinternet.com - only 4 copies of the email are sent out from Plusnet - one to each of the above domains.

I'm not sure that this is the case any more, they're normally split into individual email addresses on the originating submission server and sent on from there, rather than everything to @gmail.com being handed over as a single message. The latter way probably made sense when connections were slow and expensive, but in these high speed times there's really no benefit to doing it that way.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@CyberPagan 

At the risk of going off topic … I observe that if I send an email to numerous addressees and request delivery confirmation, the delivery confirmation messages arrive as one per target domain, mentioning all addressees at that domain.

Also note that some email systems only store one copy of an email send to multiple addressees within the domain.

All of this seems to be predicated on the characteristic of the submission agent - not the relay agent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daddybear
Grafter

Gosh!! - I am really confused now!

I never thought it could be so complicated but I am impressed that you are all so knowledgeable about the issue.

All I really want to do is send the same e-mail to several different people with different addresses ( ? maybe 50 max.) in one go.

Should I be OK to do that on my plus.com account ?  I operate it via eM Client usually.

Thanks again for all your interest and help.

Regards

Roy

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @daddybear,

Not to worry, the hourly recipient limit should be 1000 and the per email limit is 200, so sending the same email to 50 people should be fine.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team