Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication of Emails

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Duplication of Emails

Hi, I have had this problem some years ago but can't for the life of me remember how I rectified it, When I download my emails using Office outlook I end up with 2 some times 4  of the same email, so instead of 5 emails I end up with 10 or twenty.
Why it should duplicate them I don't know and was wondering if anyone had come across this before and would please let me know.
I use Microsoft Office 2007
Windows 8 Pro
Norton Internet Security 2013
I would appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direct.
regards
jono
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Duplication of Emails

Has this started happening recently or always happened with your present computer? Do you have Norton Internet Security set to scan incoming emails? If so does the problem go away if you turn off that option?
Do you have Outlook set to collect emails using POP3 and leave a copy of emails on the server? Turning that off might fix the duplicate problem.
If you need a copy to stay on the server so it can be accessed from multiple devices/computers I suggest using IMAP instead of POP3 for collecting them.
David
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi, thanks for the reply, Its been ok for quite some time now, its just started doing it possibly since I got new Smart Phone, I have email set up on that as well, it doesn't happen with my phone. Norton Internet is set to scan incoming mail. Outlook is set pop3 and set to leave a copy on server.
Ill give the IMap setting a go and see what happens.
thanks, I'll let you know if it works
jono
bingevader

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm having this problem too!
However, my problem seems to be to do with having multiple e-mail accounts directed through plusnet.
The username and password to collect them from plusnet are the same for each e-mail address, so Outlook seems to be downloading all messages to each e-mail address, regardless of the original recipient.
I don't want to collect using just one e-mail in case I miss something important and I need them all configured to send anyway.
How can I separate the accounts or e-mails so that either all mail is downloaded only once, or the mail for each e-mail account is downloaded and kept separate?
Cheers
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Outlook will collect any emails that are in the mailbox it is collecting from regardless of who they are addressed to (just as when you pick up mail left by the postman all letters are in one pile).
After collection you need to tell Outlook to sort the emails using handling rules based on the "to" address to direct them to separate folders if that's what you require.
David
bingevader

I like the postman analogy!
However, our postman doesn't deliver duplicate copies to all members of the household.
The problem is as you have stated, Outlook is collecting all the mail in the mailbox and delivering it to me, but then doing the same for all other mail recipients.
So, my wife gets ALL the mail too, as do the children, we ALL get ALL the mail.
We each get a copy of everything in the mailbox!
And, I can't see how your work around will cure that as rather than us all getting all the e-mail, we will each get multiple copies of our own!
Cheers
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: bingevader
However, our postman doesn't deliver duplicate copies to all members of the household.

That's because the postman delivers the "original" without making copies  Wink Presumably, you are not "deleting after successful download" in order to allow each of you to get the mail on their own computer? The simple solutions include:
- create separate mailboxes for each of you, then the mail is separated at Plusnet
- switch to IMAP and set up up a "filter on entry" to move your emails into a local folder and ignore the rest; repeat for others Roll_eyes
- to use the only email client I know of that will "filter at server level" - Pegasus Mail. This has a "POP3 Filter" mechanism which grabs the headers and performs a limited set of options: exit filter, download, delete on server, ... based on the header information, then the usual filter mechanisms can be used after download
Quote from: bingevader
I can't see how your work around will cure that as rather than us all getting all the e-mail, we will each get multiple copies of our own!

This suggests a single computer? In which case allowing anyone to fetch the mail and sort it into "user folders" will work provided you "delete after successful download" in all cases or solution 1 above will also work well.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.