Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading plusnet emails to Outlook 2013

FIXED
LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Downloading plusnet emails to Outlook 2013

I have three plusnet email accounts which I have added to my Microsoft Office Outlook 2013, on my HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10.

They have previously worked fine but suddenly they are not downloading messages. I have tried changing the passwords in the member centre and updating the account settings in outlook and also unintsalling and reinstalling the accounts - each time outlook has said the set up was succesful but the test emails are not being received in Outlook.

The accounts are working fine on my iPhone and IPad, although I frequently have problems with sending emails from my iphone.

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards

8 REPLIES 8
LoneBee
Rising Star

Re: Downloading plusnet emails to Outlook 2013

Update.

Several Emails to all three mailboxes have downloaded late yesterday, but not most recent ones. Also my Junk email folders are now all empty (I was checking in case they had ended up there).

Is anyone from Plusnet able to provide advice?

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Are you using IMAP or POP3 to collect the mail?

Do the account inboxes download if you prompt Outlook (Send/Receive-Update Folder) to get the mail?

I use Outlook ( currently 2016) on Windows 10 and have had this issue with IMAP accounts - not with PlusNet, I don't use their mail with Outlook. It seems to be a problem with the Outlook profile ( corruption?) which causes it to skip the automatic/timed check for new mail. It will only happen with some of the accounts in the profile, not all.

The only fix I have found is (either to live with it and manually prompt Outlook -sometimes it seems to fix itself or) to create a new Profile in Outlook and recreate the mail accounts. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to correct what seems to be a profile corruption.

Regards

LoneBee
Rising Star

Thank you, Wisty, for your response.

I confirm I have set up the accounts using IMAP.

When I prompt with send/recieve I get the tasks completed successfully in the progress window. Also Outlook does seem to be able to send emails without any problems, it is just that mail doesn't seem to be downloading into the inboxes - they are there in webmail.

I haven't tried creating a new profile - I will need to read up on that and give it a try if the problems persist.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

I now it sounds a stupid possibility, but

a) Are you sure that the Inboxs are flagged as subscribed in Outlook. Can you see any mail in the inboxes other that that which was there before? Have the Inboxes been unsubscribed in some way.

b) Have you got any routing/spam filters set in Outlook that might be diverting the mail to other folders?

c) have you tried turning on logging in Outlook. Then ask it to download mail you know is there. See what the logs say.

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/What-is-the-Enable-logging-troubleshooting-option-0fdc446d-...

LoneBee
Rising Star

That may be an indicator of the problem, when I look at the IMAP folders on the plusnet accounts, the inbox is missing form both "all" and "subscribed" folders on each account.

Earlier mail is still there except in the junk mail folders, which are empty - they were many there before. Some emails downloaded last night but nothing since about 8.48pm yesterday.

I have enabled logging and will check the logs and see if they reveal anything.

LoneBee
Rising Star

Fix

Problem seems to have suddenly resolved itself.

I went into account settings and cleared, then re-added inbox to the root folder path in advanced settings, exiting and re-opening Outlook each time. I then re-booted the laptop and there was a Windows configuration message on re-starting. I opened Outlook and unchecked the enable troubleshooting logging in the advanced options, then restarted outlook and emails then downloaded to all the accounts. The junk email has not reappeared though.

LoneBee
Rising Star

The problem has suddenly recurred. No emails downloading to Outlook since Wednesday. I cleared "inbox" from root folder path in advanced settings, restarted Outlook and they all downloaded at once.

Are there any clues why this should keep happening?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I too have seen inexplicable strange behaviour of Outlook with PlusNET mailboxes, which I have yet to pin point since I upgraded to Outlook 2016 from 2010.

Whilst receive works without fail on initial loading, I have seen subsequent send / receive bring nothing new down, even though there is stuff waiting.

I have deleted items, which have disappeared from the Outlook view of the inbox, but are still in the inbox if viewed from a different device / webmail.

On some occasions Outlook does not download the content of the inbox unless /inbox is specified as the IMAP root folder.

it is very strange, I have only seen these characteristics post Outlook 2010 with PN Mail boxes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.