cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download all Emails on Pegasus and Gmail

G4BUE
Hooked

Download all Emails on Pegasus and Gmail

I am using the Pegasus email program for my regular email address <chris@[Removed].com> on my laptop which I leave running most of the day.  I also have a Gmail account <[Removed]@gmail.com> and when I bought my first iPad a couple of years ago, set my email up so that when my laptop is switched off, or Pegasus isn't running, all incoming emails are sent to my Gmail address,  that I can access from my IPad, but are still available to download when I next switch the laptop on and/or run Pegasus.  In other words, all my emails are always available when I run Pegasus, but are also available in Gmail when I am not running Pegasus.

This has worked fine but now I have just bought my first smart phone, I want to also have my emails available on Gmail all the time, and not just when Pegasus isn't running.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember how I set up the facility, and therefore don't know how to change it to let this happen.

I see in the settings of Easily, the company I use to manage my domain name (www.[Removed].com), that I have emails sent to <chris@[Removed]> being sent to <postmaster@[Removed].plus.com> and also emails sent to <test@[Removed].com> being forwarded to <[Removed]@gmail.com>, my Gmail account, and is the emails sent when Pegasus isn't running, but I cannot remember what I did to create the <test@[Removed].com> emails in the first place! 

Thanks for any help and advice

Chris  

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum.

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Download all Emails on Pegasus and Gmail

Hi Chris,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Frankly this practice of marshalling emails through one email account (such as Gmail) is I suggest barking mad, it causes more complications than it avoids.  One imagines that people have different email addresses for different purposes - bringing them all together in one place rather defeats the purpose of them being separate as one cannot send as that email address.

You have not said which smart phone you have acquired, however I expect that it has no difficulty in being configured to connect to multiple email accounts, thereby avoiding the complication of trying to bring everything together in Gmail.

For your Plusnet account you will need...

• Your email address yourmailbox@youraccount.plus.com
  • IMAP Server - imap.plus.net
  • SMTP Server - relay.plus.net use port 587
  • DO NOT use SSL / TLS
  • Set SMTP requires authentication
  • If this is your default email account then the user name is youraccount
  • If this is an additional mail box, then the user name if youraccount+yourmailbox

HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

G4BUE
Hooked

Thanks for the welcome, Townman.

I think you have misinterpreted what I am trying to do, probably my fault for not making myself clear.  I am not trying to "marshalling emails through one email account".  Although I have a gmail account, it is only as a back-up and I very rarely use it.

I am trying to be able to read emails sent to my regular email address on my iPad and smart phone (which is a Huawei P10 Lite), whilst at the same time still have them available on my laptop where I use Pegasus to read, answer and file them.  I can do this at the moment when my laptop is switched off, or Pegasus isn't running, but I now want to be able to do it all the time.  In other words, when I am home I read my emails on my laptop through Pegasus, but when I am out (and leave my laptop running at home) I can read my emails on my iPad and/or my smart phone, and still have them to read on my laptop when I get home.

Hope that is clear?

Chris

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Chris,

Possibly the confusion arises from the use of terms like "sent to" and the perception of accessing emails via Gmail when out.

First emails are not "sent to" a device, rather a device "collects" emails from the email server.  Both Pegasus and Gmail can collect emails from numerous email accounts.

From you description I'm guessing that Pegasus has been configured as a POP3 collector and Gmail as an IMAP collector.  These are very different ways of working.

POP3 COPIES the emails from the server down to the email program and (by default) REMOVES them from the server.  IMAP synchronises email folder contents between the email program and the server - what is on the server is seen on the client, what is deleted by the client is removed from the server, what is sent from the client is stored on the server.

So as you've hinted, when Pegasus is not running, there is nothing removing emails from the server, therefore there is something left on the server for you to see using Gmail.

If you want to use multiple email clients to look at the same email box, you really should avoid using a POP3 client configuration.  Make them all IMAP, make them all use server folders for Sent / Deleted / Draft items and then no matter which device you use, you will see a consistent view of your emails.

By all means from time to time, archive the folder contents on your Pegasus system to keep the server folders tidy.

HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.