cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Plusnet removed emails from Deleted Items after a period of time?

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Does Plusnet removed emails from Deleted Items after a period of time?

Just checked for you, @Minxymoo , and neither of those two are around at the moment, and TBH I don't recall seeing either of them recently.

John
Minxymoo
Grafter

I have decided to raise a support ticket for this 209211042.
Minxymoo
Grafter

Can anyone help with this as it is still happening and I’m convinced that this is being done on the Plusnet server.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,

I've been busy with other stuff for awhile.

It is highly unlikely that this is being done by anything on the Plusnet side, as to the best of my knowledge, no hosting service has any such house keeping.  You have shown the setting from devices you are focussed on.  You've stated that content disappears after a couple of weeks.  Is it possible that you are also accessing the mailbox via an occasional use device?

You have shown MAC Outlook account settings - does it have a global setting similar to that on Windows platforms...

Capture outlook delete on exit.JPG

Have you been using Webmail on these mailboxes?

Capture delete emails webmail.JPG

To eliminate the possibility of some unidentified party being responsible for this, I would change the password to the affect mailboxes, applying the password change only to those clients you wish to have continued access to the mail account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minxymoo
Grafter

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Outlook for Mac does not have an empty deleted items on exit option. I don’t have the clear trash on log out option ticked for webmail.

I changed my password last week in case like you say it was some rouge device.

All I know is that this happens every Sunday. Does Plusnet have any logging on it’s mail sever that may shed some light on this?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Townman wrote:

It is highly unlikely that this is being done by anything on the Plusnet side, as to the best of my knowledge, no hosting service has any such house keeping.

Well profuse apologies here!  SORRY!!!

I am deeply shocked to learn (after raising this as a SU concern) that there is automated house keeping run on unemptied trash folders on Sundays on Plusnet mailboxes.  I have asked for further details.  Apparently this is part of the email service performance and optimisation measures arising out of the fact that many users never actually empty their trash folders at all ... and then wonder why they fall foul of the FUP 1GB file store utilisation warning.

For the majority of users (who believe that when they have deleted something it should have been deleted) this will not be seen as a problem.  However for some who want more than a short period of grace to recover something they deleted and since changed their minds over, this could be unwelcome news.  It does however explain the mystery!

I confess to being one such type of user, only emptying trash when I deemed essential.  I had also wondered why I've not had any FUP warnings of recent times ... and had put the tidy trash folder state down to what I knew were inconsistent settings between my desk top, iPhone and iPad(s).

Minxymoo
Grafter

Thanks for the update. At least now I know I’m not going mad 😂. I guess a week is long enough and now that I know that it has been confirmed as such I’m quite happy with the outcome.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Glad to learn that you see this as a satisfactory 'resolution' to your issue.

Minxymoo
Grafter

Still be glad to hear the further details if and when you get them.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@Minxymoo 

As requested...

1. The clean up task is run once a week
  2. The script checks all mailboxes for folders called Trash or Deleted Messages
  3. Any messages in those folders, that were moved into trash at least 8 days prior, are then deleted from storage
  4. The times this happens depends on brand
    1. For Plusnet specifically, the run starts at 03:50 on Sunday morning
    2. Force9 is the same time Monday morning
    3. FreeOnline on Tuesday
    4. The Brighview users are spread around the week after 01:00

I hope that clarifies?