cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Plusnet removed emails from Deleted Items after a period of time?

FIXED
Minxymoo
Grafter

Does Plusnet removed emails from Deleted Items after a period of time?

I have noticed recently that emails that I have deleted have been removed from the deleted items folder after about a week or so.  This is not really a problem as I have deleted the items but before I usually had to clear down deleted items myself.

25 REPLIES 25
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Does Plusnet removed emails from Deleted Items after a period of time?

@Minxymoo Are you using webmail or a client? AFAIK, PN don't remove anything from the servers, unless the account has been unused for an extended period of time, and would advise you, via the 'contact' email address before doing so anyway.

John
Minxymoo
Grafter

Using mail on iOS and outlook on a laptop
jab1
Legend

Sorry for more questions: Are they different email addresses? Which version of Outlook? Is the laptop POP3 or IMAP?

John
Minxymoo
Grafter

Same email address. All devices use IMAP.
jab1
Legend

OK. In that case, once you clear 'Deleted Items' on one device, I understand it will clear all.

@Townman - I'm out of ideas here.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

It helps to clearly understand some basic concepts.

1. With IMAP, email content is not "on the device" but always on the email server
  2. All IMAP connected devices see the same content as held on the server
  3. What is done to email "on one device" affects the content of the server storage and is thereby reflected in all devices' view of the mailbox
  4. Each device's view is updated when it reconnects to the server
  5. Different email clients manage the deleted items mailbox differently
  6. Only a client (device) can delete emails, be that an application on a phone, tablet, PC or by the use of the Webmail interface

In iOS (iPhone, iPad iMac etc) email account configuration settings there is an option to specify when to remove deleted items (from the server) in the ACCOUNT advanced settings, thus different rules may be applied to each account...

20201126_142539074_iOS.png

Outlook 2016/19 manages the deleted items folder management at an APPLICATION level, that is the setting is applied the same to the deleted items folder for ALL ACCOUNTS configured in Outlook, thus it is not possible to apply different rules to different accounts.

See File > Options > Advanced > Outlook Start & Exit > Empty Deleted Items Folder when exiting Outlook

Accessing the same mailbox using different clients (devices) which manage this functionality can cause confusion.  It is best to configure all devices except one to leave deleted items untouched and then use the exception device to manage the purging of the deleted items folder.  Personally I leave Outlook not emptying the trash bins and configure the trash clearance rules on an account by account basis on ONE OF the three iOS devices which all access my mailboxes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minxymoo
Grafter

Checked all these settings and the deleted items are still being cleared by themselves.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @Minxymoo 

Are you using IMAP or POP3 on your devices? Also if you log into webmail.plus.net, are the deleted items there?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Minxymoo
Grafter

IMAP on all devices. No not visible on webmail.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Minxymoo 

It could be worth posting up screenshots of the mailbox settings you're using on your devices (redacting account specific information though) and we'll see if we can spot anything not quite right.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Minxymoo
Grafter

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I decided to change my Plusnet password last weekend to see if that would solve the issue but today more emails have disappeared form my deleted items without any action by my.  So here are my settings screen shots as requested.

First iOS 14

IMG_2597.jpegIMG_2598.png

Next macOS Catalina Mail

Image 06-12-2020 at 15.34.jpegImage 06-12-2020 at 15.35.jpeg

Lastly Outlook 2016 for Mac

Image 06-12-2020 at 15.39.jpegImage 06-12-2020 at 15.40.jpeg

Minxymoo
Grafter

Can anyone help?
jab1
Legend

Sorry, I can't as I have no experience of those clients. Maybe @Gandalf  or @Townman  will pick this up for you.

John
Minxymoo
Grafter

@Gandalf or @Townman Are you able to help. I know I took a while to respond, but I was try something else.