cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to change settings on my virgin.net additional accounts in OE?

br1anstorm
Rising Star

Do I have to change settings on my virgin.net additional accounts in OE?

Apologies if this seems like a daft question, but here goes...
First the basics.  My computer runs Windows XP Pro.  I use Outlook Express as my email programme.  I have Plusnet broadband as my ISP.  I have several email accounts.  My "XXX.@xxxx.plus.com"  address is my main and default account and default connection.  I have however also configured OE, so long ago that I have forgotten how, to field mail from my other older email accounts, including  "xxx@virgin.net" accounts which date from the days when I used Virgin as my dial-up ISP.
Now.... I have recently received messages from Virgin which instruct me to make changes to my email account if I wish to continue receiving virgin.net email into my OE Inbox.  They provide a link to this page on the Virgin Media site https://www.virginmedia.com/account/email-settings-change.php, and even offer a "tool" to adjust the settings automatically.
My concern is this:  do I have to make the changes they suggest (and they offer instructions for doing it manually) within the "properties" of the virgin.net accounts - even though I am using Plusnet as the default connection?  Or do I only have to make the changes if I am using virgin.net as the default connection (which at present I'm not).
My puzzlement arises partly because the settings the virgin.net advice provides (for SMTP sending and POP3 receiving) don't correspond with the headings in the account properties as currently showing in my OE account settings.  It suggests I have to set or amend, not just the server and ports, but also check or change the SSLs, authentications, and usernames.
(at present, for example, all my email accounts have relay.plus.com for the outgoing SMTP mail, and all have outgoing port 25 and incoming port 110.  The Virgin.net advice http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE... says that for the virgin.net accounts these should be 465 and 995, with SSL and authentication enabled...)
I hope I have set out the questions clearly.  Any advice or comments would be welcome. 
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Do I have to change settings on my virgin.net additional accounts in OE?

It appears Virgin are changing the service to use a secure connection through a different port and you will have to manually change the POP3 settings for collecting your mail from Virgin. However since you send mail via Plusnet the SMTP settings don't change at all. The changes on the POP3 side are normal and nothing to be concerned about, though they have to be done.
You need to ensure the POP3 settings used for collecting your Virgin mail match those set out in the Receiving mail (POP3) section of the configuration guide you linked to. Ignore the information relating to SMTP (and IMAP).
Hope this helps. Smiley
David
br1anstorm
Rising Star

Re: Do I have to change settings on my virgin.net additional accounts in OE?

Thanks, spraxyt, very clear and helpful.  I had indeed suspected that I needed to adjust the inward (POP3) settings, but not the outbound (SMTP) ones, for the reason you explained very well.
I think Virgin should have made this clear in their guidance.  I surely can't be the only one who uses a non-virgin ISP (ie Plusnet)  to get virgin.net mail into and out of my OE Inbox. 
I have now changed the POP3 settings, and sent myself (at virgin.net)  a couple of test emails from other non-virgin accounts.  They came through OK. So I hope all is well!
Thanks again.