cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissappearing emails

jennywren1961

Dissappearing emails

Some time ago, I came back to plusnet with my broadband and emails. My original planet email addresses became mail only accounts. I have three device which I want to receive emails to. Computer, laptop and Android phone. I am finding that if my phone receives the email first, they will not pick up on my computer and laptop. The emails are also immediately being removed from the server. I want to be able to pick them up on all devices and save to all devices. I want to chose which device to keep certain emails on, but if I delete from one, it feletedfrom the others. I have been told about the active and usher in achieved them at one point, and I was asked to reduce the number. I tried to do this but I struggled for some reason. This situation has been a mess for a while now and it is really getting to me. I wish I never left planet, it was a mistake, but it a month and it has never been the same since I returned. I have even had people from plusnet remotely, but it's takes ages and still isn't sorted out.
4 REPLIES 4
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Dissappearing emails

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Email.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jennywren1961

Why am I getting the message emails are no longer available on the server. Because of this I can not open and download attachments
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

You need to either select an option in your mail client to leave a copy on server (or similar wording), or use IMAP on all devices. Deleting an email in IMAP though, will delete from server, thus no clients will see the email.

At the moment it sounds like you're downloading through pop3 to the main computer which is removing the copy from the server.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@jennywren1961 

A warm welcome to the forums.

If you want to access the same mail box on multiple devices, it is far less complex if ALL devices are configured for IMAP operation.  Invariably  using a mixture of POP3 and IMAP results in a good deal of confusion (as here) and less usually understood, the history of sent email becomes fragmented - POP3 clients only hold their own sent items, which are not accessible on other devices.  Note for that to work properly, all IMAP devices must be configured to store sent items "on the server" not locally.

The usual lament justifying using the use of POP3 on one device "to keep a back up" would be better facilitated by back-ups from the IMAP server being facilitated by archiving old emails to local folders on the PC from time to time.  Some people do that every three months, taking it as an opportunity to "file" (group) emails in to subject areas.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.