cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct transfer of emails from PlusNet Webmail to Gmail?

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Direct transfer of emails from PlusNet Webmail to Gmail?

My email archive dating back to 1999 is lodged at Gmail. It used to be on my computer at home in Outlook Express but in preparation for turning off my XP machine I've transferred it to Gmail over the last two years (and it's nearly done!). I tried other methods of archiving but ran into problems with all the alternatives - in particular Windows Mail and Thunderbird.
For the last two years I've largely used PlusNet webmail directly rather than downloading to Outlook Express. I now only download to OE in order to archive by uploading to Gmail - by drag'n'drop in OE. But I really need to update my home computer to a new one - which would be running Windows 10.
Since I'm using domain names, I could of course switch my domain name redirection to point at Gmail rather than PlusNet webmail but I much prefer the usability of the latter.
Is there a way I can transfer emails to Gmail directly from PlusNet webmail - without having to download and subsequently upload? Please advise in simple language!  Smiley
18 REPLIES 18
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Direct transfer of emails from PlusNet Webmail to Gmail?

You can add the PN servers to the Gmal account as a reader, I do it with several accounts I have.
Click on accounts
then set it up under "Check email from other accounts (using POP3):"
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thank you for the quick response - I'll investigate. Sounds straightforward (I hope)
drj
Aspiring Pro

OK - I've managed that despite having to go into manual settings to get it working (it was showing the wrong POP server).
However it's working continuously. I want it to happen intermittently because otherwise it appears I'll have to delete everything I don't want twice, once at PlusNet and then again at Gmail, since it's transferred there on receipt or very soon afterwards (at least a test email was).
Yes - I've found Mail History and it's showing:
Mail retrieval history for "[my Plusnet email address]"
18 October 2015 at 13:21 One email retrieved.
18 October 2015 at 13:18 No emails retrieved.
18 October 2015 at 13:15 No emails retrieved.
18 October 2015 at 13:12 6 emails retrieved.

... so every three minutes.
I can't find anything in the settings to alter the checking period or to set it to manual.
The only ready solution I could think of was to set it up with the wrong password, and when I wanted to periodically archive, I could change the password temporarily to the right one. But it won't accept a wrong password!
So presently I've deleted it pending hopefully a solution. I might have to set it up each month or so when I want to archive?
Any other ideas please people?
DamBuilder
Grafter

Uncheck "Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server." and it will only exist on gmail.
As for frequency of checking this changes depending on how much mail it's getting.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

It really depends on where you WANT your mail. I have all mine stored on Gmail. It collects from the other servers and deletes it there, I then have it filtered in Gmail to a folder for that provider, so  it reads/deletes it from the provider (say PN) and moves it to a folder called PN in my inbox. I NEVER open any other email clients/web pages just Thunderbird and Gmail.
Any mail sent to PN arrives in my inbox folder shortly after.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: DamBuilder
Uncheck "Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server." and it will only exist on gmail.

No sorry - that won't work at all.
I want to use PlusNet webmail as my primary email service, only archiving to Gmail those emails I want to keep. What I need is a "manual sync" button at Gmail so I can periodically archive after the unwanted emails have been deleted.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Hairy
It really depends on where you WANT your mail. I have all mine stored on Gmail. It collects from the other servers and deletes it there, I then have it filtered in Gmail to a folder for that provider, so  it reads/deletes it from the provider (say PN) and moves it to a folder called PN in my inbox. I NEVER open any other email clients/web pages just Thunderbird and Gmail.
Any mail sent to PN arrives in my inbox folder shortly after.

The same answer I'm afraid.
I want to use PlusNet webmail as my primary email service, only archiving to Gmail those emails I want to keep.
As I said initially "I could of course switch my domain name redirection to point at Gmail rather than PlusNet webmail but I much prefer the usability of the latter."
drj
Aspiring Pro

I should add I've several times tried to get used to using Gmail but to me it's hopelessly and needlessly complicated. PlusNet webmail, and most other webmails to be honest, are easier to use - possibly because they're simpler in the first place.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well then your only real option is to use it as you setup in the first place. If you want it left on the PN server then leave the delete option off.  This will archive ALL the mail on the Gmail server leaving PN untouched.
Once it has synced it will only check intermittently mine is something like 90min.
There isn't really a way of syncing manually other than doing it manually.
Personally I HATE web mail, I use Thunderbird most of the time, or the Gmail app on my phone. Gmail may look complicated but it is only as complicated as you want to make it. You don't have to use 99% of the features.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: drj
The only ready solution I could think of was to set it up with the wrong password, and when I wanted to periodically archive, I could change the password temporarily to the right one. But it won't accept a wrong password!

It's complicated, but it may work (and I don't recommend it Roll_eyes )!
Firstly, create a second mailbox and set up the gmail "Fetch" to use this account, then change new e-mail account password. This will stop the fetch operating and, if it doesn't cancel, you can temporarily reset the password to perform the archive (with/without auto delete and possibly only fetch "new" e-mails). However, this will result in repeated log in failures, so may upset either end of the fetch and/or the two e-mail providers Shocked
You will also need to set up a redirect so that all e-mails are passed from the PN master account to the second mailbox and use that as your primary email store. You should still be able to use the master as your address for outgoing e-mails.
That is based on my PN e-mail situation, where the master e-mail account uses the same password as the member centre - I don't know if that still applies to new customers.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks - I think it's just as easy to set up a new connection each month - which is approximately how often I archive away from PlusNet.
It just seems a pity there isn't a straightforward facility to on-demand transfer emails from one webmail to another. But then why should there be for most people's needs?
I do have the same password for email and member centre.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Hairy
Personally I HATE web mail, I use Thunderbird most of the time, or the Gmail app on my phone. Gmail may look complicated but it is only as complicated as you want to make it. You don't have to use 99% of the features.

As an aside, part of the reason I started using webmail was to be able readily to monitor the Spam box. Far too many legitimate emails get trapped in there. The other reason was that I bought a laptop and found it easier to keep everything in one place - Ii.e. webmail.
I use WP8.1 Mail on my phone and have to confess to finding that complicated too - it has a duplicate folder structure that you can't alter and sometimes completely loses emails.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

You can access the spam folder from Thunderbird & Gmail app. I find that Gmail is pretty good with spam, only had to move a couple of emails in the past year or so.
drj
Aspiring Pro

I was meaning the PlusNet Spam box - which would trap things before they get transferred to Gmail, wouldn't it?