cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulties in sending emails even from webmail

Difficulties in sending emails even from webmail

I have been having difficulties in sending emails via my Plusnet account for a few weeks on and off. I have never really had much trouble with it in 20 years. My current difficulty is that successfully sending emails only works sometimes. I am not aware of having changed anything configurationally.

I use Thunderbird and if it fails a dialog appears which I think is a standard Thunderbird response to having the wrong server password "Login to server relay.plus.net with username myusername failed" but entering my password does not help. If I wait and I dont have a good feel for how long etc but eventually I do manage to send an email out successfully even without having to enter a password into Thunderbird.

So I have tried to see how webmail is performing and it also fails to send out emails sometimes with an "Authentication 535" error. Then after a while it works.

I sort of have a bad feeling that this is related to a problem that started a few weeks ago when I sent out a link with google.com in it and that was trapped as spam and would not transmit. Rather annoying as I have sent out hundreds of these in the last year.

Has anybody seen anything else like this ?

3 REPLIES 3
Hooked

Re: Difficulties in sending emails even from webmail

As of about midday today I seem to be having the same problem: the system is refusing to post an email to the same gmail account that I successfully wrote to earlier this morning. My client is Agent and like you I've had the same failure with web mail.

I can't help wondering if it might be connected in some way with yesterday's huge, worldwide Google outage. My plan is just to wait a while and see if it it passes with time but I will be monitoring this thread as well.

Indeed its a thought. I have just tried sending emails to myself on my Plusnet account and to a friend using outlook.com Both have failed. If I wait a bit they will probably work OK I think that I have had a few failures sending to gmail accounts , possibly that is the aftermath of the Google outage.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 63

Hi @SagaPlus 

A warm welcome to the forums.  Sorry no staff member responded to this query.  Are you still encountering issues?

I am responding (albeit it late) because your question raises some non-obvious observations, the examination of which might help other users.

@SagaPlus wrote:

I have been having difficulties in sending emails via my Plusnet account for a few weeks on and off.

My current difficulty is that successfully sending emails only works sometimes. I am not aware of having changed anything configurationally.

So the first question - is this an email service connect to an active Plusnet account or a legacy email service associated with a closed Plusnet account or one of the legacy brands?

Was the sending device connected to the internet over a Plusnet ISP connection or over some other connection, for example 4/5G mobile internet?

I use Thunderbird and if it fails a dialog appears which I think is a standard Thunderbird response to having the wrong server password "Login to server relay.plus.net with username myusername failed" but entering my password does not help. If I wait and I dont have a good feel for how long etc but eventually I do manage to send an email out successfully even without having to enter a password into Thunderbird.

A "wrong password" error message covers a multitude of sines, only one of which is actually a wrong password!!  Any network connection issue will be reported as a password failure rather than the real problem being encountered.  Such problems can range for no internet connection at all through to your IP address having been black balled.

@SagaPlus wrote:

So I have tried to see how webmail is performing and it also fails to send out emails sometimes with an "Authentication 535" error. Then after a while it works.

If this is accurate the it is very worrying.  There is no way that webmail should encounter an authentication failure to the SMTP server once having logged into webmail.

Note that a PC client reporting the same error could be masking the real issue - there are a number of 535 error variants, including but not limited to password failure.

I doubt that the outbound mail being trapped as spam is likely to have any bearing on the reported experience.  If it did, you would not be able to send anything out what so ever.